At wits end with mold....help!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abw688

Reaction score
Ok, so I did submit a post about mold already, but wanted to submit a new one with more info.

We are in SC had about 18-20 inches of rain in 48 hours in October. We had no water come into our home....however, I believe we are now seeing the aftermath of moisture (I think?).

We found mold in 2 cabinets in the home. Then, we found mold on one entire side of the attic (the 2 sides of the attic are not connected). We then found mold in all different areas of the house (closet on clothes, linen closet, corner under china cabinet, under the couch, on candles in our fireplace (but didn't see any up the chimney flue), a book bag in the corner of a room upstairs)...it just keeps popping up! I feel like it is taking over our home. It is very dusty and powdery, not really wet and raised mold.

We did take a humidity reading when we started noticing it and it was at 77%. Since then, we have been using 2 dehumidifiers (one for upstairs, one for down) and they have been running constantly and have brought the humidity down to anywhere from 45-65%

We are having a company come in and take care of the attic and the cabinet area since it seems to be the most strong in those areas. We are also installing a vapor barrier in our crawl space. The mold company said the crawl space was damp, but was not too concerning.

We are literally at our wits end at this point.....I have no idea what to do. We clean the mold and toss things as we find them. I am terrified it is going to come back and/or we'll keep finding it.

Since it is throughout the house...any guesses on what is going on? Would high humidity really be the cause of it? I have no other guesses!!

100% clorox in a 3 gallon pump sprayer

if you spray it with 100% and it comes back, you will have to strip sheet rock, inspect insulation

possible remove replace insulation and rock

100% clorox in a 3 gallon pump sprayer

if you spray it with 100% and it comes back, you will have to strip sheet rock, inspect insulation

possible remove replace insulation and rock

We sprayed the cabinets with Concrobium 2 weeks ago, and so far, nothing has returned.

here is a very expensive fix you can remove all the siding from the home put tyvek rain shield on the home put 2" foam on the home sealing the seams put 4x1 on that and then your siding on this will keep out moisture from entering the house. this mite work for you

here is a very expensive fix you can remove all the siding from the home put tyvek rain shield on the home put 2" foam on the home sealing the seams put 4x1 on that and then your siding on this will keep out moisture from entering the house. this mite work for you

That might be the answer if the wealls are leaking and allowing water into the stucture but we would like to knoiw what the problem is first..

Bleach at any strength only really works on solid surfaces like stone, I porous sufaces like drywall and wood the spor roots are left to grow again.

It is really hard to come up with answers until the crawspace has been dryed and moisture berrier has been installed, the house has dryed out and cleaned of mold ansd spors in the air, house cheked for roof leaks siding leaks and plumbing leaks.
Mold in the attic suggests not enough ventulation and or leaks from the house to the attic or roof leaks. With moisture in the crawlspace you may have holes between the crawlspace and house allowing moisture to enter the house

Back