Cabinet Hinge Replacement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balfro

Reaction score
In my kitchen I have those European Style Hinges that can only be seen from inside the cabinets and consist of 2 parts (the one attached to the door and the one attached to the cabinet itself), where the two parts are held together with a screw.

I simply can't stand this type of hinge. Tweaking them so they don't leave large gaps on either side of the door is next to impossible and I have to tighten the screws that hold them together at least once a month, lest they fall right off and damage my hardwood floor or cause injury.

Is there any type of cabinet hinge that is compatible with the holes and grooves already in my cabinets and cabinet doors that follow a similar (invisible) style but are one solid piece and doesn't require constant maintenance or upkeep? I don't want to get rid of my cabinet doors but from my knowledge of hinges the only other type available are the standard ones where the joint is visible from the outside of the door.

Thank you.

Have you tried some thread locker like Loctite to keep the screw from coming loose?

I was unaware such a product existed. That might do the trick, however that wouldn't solve the annoying tweaking problem to make them even. Can this stuff come off of the screw or is it permanent?

You have the cheap hinges, go get a few good ones and change the bad ones.If screw hole are inlarged with glue and wood match stick. They may be half lap or full lap or whatever so take one with you. It is just a quality thing.

probably too late now, but if anyone else has this issue, a good replacement would be invisible spring hinges.

best bargains ive found on them, without sacrificing quality, is at dlawlesshardware.com

Back