Living with...efflorescence

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngieL

Reaction score
The basement of my 1942 home in Portland, Oregon is in what might politely be called 'sub-optimal' shape. Lots of moisture here and the walls aren't in great shape. I realize that the problem is only really solved through serious excavation and treatment from the outside or raising the house and simply pouring a new foundation. Since neither of those things are financially possible, right now what is the best way to deal with it?

try this - clean the walls & apply some xypex - its a crystalline material that will penetrate the concrete pores & stop moisture migration IF the problem's originating from the exterior,,, IF its interior moisture, humidifier or air exchanger's best.

xypex isn't expensive & its fairly easy to apply,,, your local const supply house/masonary restoration supply will stock it OR an equivalent product,,, bear in mind moisture will still penetrate the wall to the depth of the absorbed xypex,,, no financial interest.

Would thee be a problem with the foundation cracking if water seeps in then freezes because it can't get out? My guess is that it's not that big a worry here - it never gets that cold in the winter...

the likelihood of more cracking's always a possibility however i'd bet more damage's likely from the cause of the crk in the 1st place,,, absent freezing temps & frost, just treat it as a normal crk.

Back