Moving large range before kitchen backsplash replacement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvf6231

Reaction score
We are wanting to replace the backsplash in our kitchen. We have a 48" Thermador range with its own stainless steel backsplash attached. The stainless backsplash is removable, and there is tile on the wall behind it. The tile contractor we spoke to basically wants nothing to do with the range and said we would need to have it moved ourselves before the installation of the tile.

The only tech in town who will touch our range said he can pull it back from the wall about 20" and take down the stainless steel backsplash to allow the tile guys access to the wall behind it. To actually remove the range from the area so that someone could, for example, stand where the range used to be is extremely labor intensive, requires at least 2 guys to do at $100 per guy per hour.

The tile contractor says 20" isn't enough and they need full access to the wall with the range totally out of the way. That will end up costing us roughly $800 in labor just to move the range and put it back.

Has anyone encountered this before? It seems absurd that the tile guys need that much space for a small area. Should I be getting second opinions or is anyone who says they can work in such a small space going to do a bad job?

DSC_0078.jpg

You need one tech and one labourer. Find a local labour ready outfit for the second guy.
Have the guy remove the splash and return the range to a few inches out and have the tile guy work over the range. get two labourers to push it back in place.
Just saying.

call a plumbing co. tell them you need a gas appliance moved and gas capped off

or, go to home depot about 7 am. get 2 laborers for 10 bucks an hour [going rate for our.....day labor]

and do as Mr. Neal suggested

for $800.00 i'll come move it

I helped my neighbor install a similar size Viking stove, and it was an easy task, even with my bad knees and his hangover. It seems someone is trying to milk you from your money.

I would pull it out far enough to remove the back splash from the stove then push it back in. Cover the top of the stove to prevent any damage and have them tile from the stove up. Keep extra tile if you want to tile behind the stove at some later date.
Look at it this way, they're not moving the base cabinets, so just have them reach over it just like the rest of the counter. The stove is no deeper than the counters.

Back