Insulating Rafters behind A/C Units

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodJBoy

Reaction score
My attic is about 30' wide with a 12' peak in the middle. It is a typical attic with rafters that are open at the bottom and with a ridge vent at the top.

I have central air conditioning in my home with two units (one for the first floor and one for the second floor) pushed up close to the rafters in the back of the house. The A/C units rest on the floor and come up about 3' high and the flexible insulated vents are also "out of the way" in the back side of the house.

This means there is a lot of open space in my attic but in the back of the house, about 1/2 of the length of the attic, the access to put in baffles and insulation is blocked by the A/C units.

Has anyone dealt with this problem before? Do I have to have an A/C contractor temporarily move the units out of the way and then come back when the insulation is complete? Is there a way to properly insulate the rafters behind the A/C units without temporarily removing the A/C units?

Has anyone dealt with this before? If so, any advice? I have been insulating the rest of the attic myself and leaving this spot for last. I could build a knee wall in front of the units but I was hoping to insulate the rafters behind the units rather than to insulate the knee wall in front of the units.

Thanks!

Can u get a picture? I'm not sure of the issue. If your talking about disconnecting freon lines , that's going to cost some money.

Back