DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Small roof leak

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 01-24-2018, 12:18 AM  
Snoonyb
Liked 475 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you are using it for the flat portion it will work, however you'll want it in a white to reflect heat.

The sloped portion, where the leak probably originates, were it I, would remain architecturally conforming.

Old 01-24-2018, 04:17 AM  
Mastercarpenty
Liked 92 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdad118 View Post
What is this rubber(?) roofing I am seeing on commercial rooftops ? Would this be a better, long term replacement? It appears itís glued on. Iíve seen it on YouTube videos.
http://www.epdmroofs.org/what-is-epdm

EPDM is a very good roofing but requires a special substrate underneath- you can't just apply it to the wood roof sheathing. It can be DIY though I'd highly recommend using a commercial roofer for this to get a warranty. The material itself is good for 50 years or more but seams and edges must be done properly to avoid leaks. I'm not certain how it would interface with shingles or other roofing materials as I've not seen that done, The use of ballasting (gravel) in top is falling out of favor here as walking in that sometimes pierces the membrane. If you choose to go that way be sire to use rounded river stone for less chance of this.

Phil

Old 01-24-2018, 10:33 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1422 Times on 1129 Posts
Likes Given: 407

No mfgs of rubber roofing warranty their membrane on residential applications. All seams are mechanical, that means, glued. Look at TPO's or modified bitumen base and cap sheet similar to GAF Liberty system. TPOs seam are heat welded, glued seams will delaminate from pounding water.
inspectorD Likes This 
Old 01-24-2018, 03:55 PM  
maxdad118
JOAMOS

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 101

I guess I’ll get quotes and input on both(if it’s an option)? I’m thinking just getting it redone with a similar roof. Thinking the rubber will be costly?

Old 01-24-2018, 03:59 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1422 Times on 1129 Posts
Likes Given: 407

Most of the systems IF, installed correctly, will be comparable in pricing. There are a lot of shortcuts that can be done that will adversely effect the lifecycle of the system.
maxdad118 Likes This 
Old 01-25-2018, 02:47 PM  
Snoonyb
Liked 475 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdad118 View Post
I guess Iíll get quotes and input on both(if itís an option)? Iím thinking just getting it redone with a similar roof. Thinking the rubber will be costly?
Ask them to address the leak as well.