Small roof leak

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are using it for the flat portion it will work, however you'll want it in a white to reflect heat.

The sloped portion, where the leak probably originates, were it I, would remain architecturally conforming.

What is this rubber(?) roofing I am seeing on commercial rooftops ? Would this be a better, long term replacement? It appears it’s glued on. I’ve seen it on YouTube videos.

http://www.epdmroofs.org/what-is-epdm

EPDM is a very good roofing but requires a special substrate underneath- you can't just apply it to the wood roof sheathing. It can be DIY though I'd highly recommend using a commercial roofer for this to get a warranty. The material itself is good for 50 years or more but seams and edges must be done properly to avoid leaks. I'm not certain how it would interface with shingles or other roofing materials as I've not seen that done, The use of ballasting (gravel) in top is falling out of favor here as walking in that sometimes pierces the membrane. If you choose to go that way be sire to use rounded river stone for less chance of this.

Phil

No mfgs of rubber roofing warranty their membrane on residential applications. All seams are mechanical, that means, glued. Look at TPO's or modified bitumen base and cap sheet similar to GAF Liberty system. TPOs seam are heat welded, glued seams will delaminate from pounding water.

I guess I’ll get quotes and input on both(if it’s an option)? I’m thinking just getting it redone with a similar roof. Thinking the rubber will be costly?

Most of the systems IF, installed correctly, will be comparable in pricing. There are a lot of shortcuts that can be done that will adversely effect the lifecycle of the system.

I guess I’ll get quotes and input on both(if it’s an option)? I’m thinking just getting it redone with a similar roof. Thinking the rubber will be costly?

Ask them to address the leak as well.

Latest posts

Back