Ceiling repair- do I need to replace drywall?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lochaven

Reaction score
New homeowner and first-time posted here. I made the noobie mistake of taking one wrong step in the attic and stepping through the ceiling drywall. I managed to avoid major injury to my person but can't say the same for the ceiling which I've attached pictures of. Yes, those are children's books holding up the offending section of drywall.

My question is: since the drywall/ceiling doesn't have a major hole but has instead just cracked and "folded" along the crack, is it possible to mend it the way it is, rather than cutting out that section and going through the whole process of laying new drywall, etc.? If so, how do I go about doing that? If not, is there a recommendation of the best guide out there to replacing a section of the ceiling?

Thank you in advance!

ceiling1.jpg

ceiling2.jpg

2 people One in the attic holding a 2x4 centered over the crack the 2x4 should be maybe 6" linger than the crack Person 2 drives some drywall screws on both sides of the crack into 2x4,
The screw should be just blew flush with surface with out breaking the paper.

You can try pulling it up as Neal suggests but most likely you will get some lumps as SNS suggests where the drywall has delaminated. I like to use a scrap of plywood as a backer when splicing an opening like that.

The other problem with reattaching the piece is you will then need to try and match the texture after taping the seam. You will need to feather it out with building up about an 1/8 of thickness at the seam and then tapering it out about a foot each side so it wont look like a hump. Then match the texture and paint if you can. You may have to paint the whole ceiling or you will notice it.

Glad to hear you didn’t get hurt. I went thru my garage roof 3 years ago in a similar way ended up with a clot in my leg that lead to a PE.

And Welcome to the forum. Using the kids books was a great idea and shows that you will fit right in here.

Back