They cut a floor joist. How can I fix it?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m2244

Reaction score
So, as many people know, fixing up an old house can be a nightmare. I am in the process of remodeling a bedroom on the second floor. At some point one of the previous owners put in a floor vent. They cut one of the floor joist and didn't block it in. To add to the problem the subfloor is old 1x boards and the floor joists are only 1 x 6. I want to make this floor as rugged as possible. What should I do about this dangling joist?

I am planning on going over the subfloor with 1/2 inch plywood, glueing and screwing the hell out of it, but I am still a little bit paranoid about the strength of the floor. It's right in the middle of the room and I have noticed some of the nails are working out in the first floor ceiling.

Anyway, any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

NEVER heard of 1x being used for floor joists. If that is true the whole floor system needs to be evaluated. Post some pictures.

Dang it, I'm sorry. 2x6 floor joists. Still pretty weak. Any advice?

Open up some more floor and scab on another 2x6 to the side if it as long as you can make it. Glue and lots of screws. Once you have your peice laying in there you can set a 2x4 on flat across the hole and screw down to the old joist to pull it up to level before screwing the scab in place.

I was afraid that I would need to pull up some of the sub floor. I guess it only makes sense.

You mentioned glue. This might be over-kill but I was thinking about epoxy. That is some strong stuff.

If you're removing floor anyway, 2x6 is light for floor joists, double up as many as you can.

Couple of thoughts ... (1) Before adding wood, check the downstairs ceiling for any sagging. If there is a sag, use screw jacks (with a 2x6) to push up the sagging joist before adding wood or re-attaching upstairs. (2) I would use PL Premium construction adhesive applied in a "sine curve" pattern to sister new 2x6 lumber. It will hold really well. Highly recommended. (3) You can block around the vent but try to install hanger metal to beef up the strength of the connections between the joists side-to-side. Now, if you sister new 2x6 joist wood, use a double joist hanger for the new connection. While you are there, with the subflooring removed, you can retrofit joist hangers to the joists which you can reach. (4) if you really want to lock it all in, apply the PL Premium on the top edge of the new joist framework so you can screw down the new sub-floor.

YEAH! That's what I'm talking about . . . :D

Back