What is the best lighting for these outdoor lighting fixtures

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfclay

Reaction score
So I bought this house two years ago and it seems like a battle to keep all of these fixtures lit.
Novice here.
What bulbs should I be using and isn't it best to treat the bulbs with some sort of grease?
ba9848b10685875483c78e7b62ae85cc.jpg
fc0f4fde933152b12d1743899520cac7.jpg

For a few bucks more, I'd recommend replacing with LED bulbs. You'll never need to replace them and they will only cost a few pennies a day to run.

As far as grease, I never use anything. It's not worth the mess it creates.

Thanks Havasu, I always have a hard time getting them out was why I wondered about the grease.

I have never used grease on a light fixture.
Since you said these are outdoor fixtures, you should at least be using outdoor lamps not indoor ones.

If you're using them outside I would also switch to LED or even CFLs. One of the reasons they're failing is probably from vibration. Wind or doors slamming cause the filament to vibrate and weaken.

If you're using them outside I would also switch to LED or even CFLs. One of the reasons they're failing is probably from vibration. Wind or doors slamming cause the filament to vibrate and weaken.

Now we are talking. I use CFL in some enclosed fixtures outdoors and they seem to last. I looked tonight for some outdoor LED that was this size with no luck.
d6ba378586253e457d84ef675a63753f.jpg
e629daac8fe1459ebb12593b4045bb9a.jpg

I used these
bf7483fe5fd857874eab7727c48643cf.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/07/7f387e39f7e1cdf4ba6ac78e00b78173.jpg[/IMG
I couldn't seem to find any LED bulbs that were outdoor that were this size.

I suppose you could use dielectric grease, but like others have said, I have never used it on a light fixture.

Dielectric grease is more intended for terminals and plugs (in an industrial setting) for machines subject to moisture or wash down.

Part of the problem is because of the heat generated by the incandescent lamp. You're also probably a little reluctant to twist the R20 lamps you're using because the glass is so thin. If you want to stay with incandescent, use a par20 which is thicker and stronger.

Isn't that what dielectric grease is for?

Dielectric Grease is a lubricant that is formulated for it's non conductive properties. Most frequently it is used to lubricate silicon rubber insulators without creating a risk of shorting out the connection that is being insulated to ground through the grease itself. Dielectric grease should not be applied to conductive connections prior to their being made up and becoming fully conductive.

Conductive Grease, such as Penetrox, are used to exclude air and prevent corrosion in the contact surfaces of conductive connections.

For the application being discussed here it is very important that a conductive grease be used. The grease should be applied quite sparingly so as to avoid the possibility of excess grease causing an arcing fault between the center contact and the threads of an Edison based lighting socket.

The two brands that I have seen used are Elecralube and Bulb EZ.

I would strongly advise that Vaseline or any other brand of petroleum jelly not be used. Petroleum Jelly is Flammable! If any arcing were to occur in the socket it will ignite and propagate fire to any other combustible part of the fixture such as any plastic used in the construction of the shell.

Dielectric Grease is a lubricant that is formulated for it's non conductive properties. Most frequently it is used to lubricate silicon rubber insulators without creating a risk of shorting out the connection that is being insulated to ground through the grease itself. Dielectric grease should not be applied to conductive connections prior to their being made up and becoming fully conductive.

Conductive Grease, such as Penetrox, are used to exclude air and prevent corrosion in the contact surfaces of conductive connections.

For the application being discussed here it is very important that a conductive grease be used. The grease should be applied quite sparingly so as to avoid the possibility of excess grease causing an arcing fault between the center contact and the threads of an Edison based lighting socket.

The two brands that I have seen used are Elecralube and Bulb EZ.

I would strongly advise that Vaseline or any other brand of petroleum jelly not be used. Petroleum Jelly is Flammable! If any arcing were to occur in the socket it will ignite and propagate fire to any other combustible part of the fixture such as any plastic used in the construction of the shell.

Thanks! My first job was to go around the building where the owner had me replace floodlights and put Vaseline on bulbs when doing.

Anyways- here's the light fixture. I think the outdoor bulbs seem limited in this size.
908e251949a2b82d0c3759484df7e734.jpg

Grease is only an issue if the bulbs are getting stuck in the sockets. It will not help with bulbs that are burning out faster than you think they should.

How often do the bulbs run. Every day? All night?

If you frequent Costco, they often have the LED conversion kits for about $10 a piece.

This is not dielectric grease. It is an anti-corrosive compound used on aluminum wire connections-

e629daac8fe1459ebb12593b4045bb9a.jpg

The actual dielectric grease should be put sparingly on the bulb base to insure no corrosion and ease of future bulb change.

71133.fpx

Back