Air Return Vents

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You call this an air return. so if you were to seal it, would it be preventing air from getting back to your furnace? The real question in my mind is where is the outside air coming from?

If this is a air return or probably combustion air for your furnace, you should leave it open, unless you like breathing carbon monoxide

Thanks for the replies. It's not combustion air. I have a newer furnace with separate PVC piping for that.

This is an older home (1940) that had duct work added at some point. So some of the ducts are cut into the walls. Basically it's just the space between the wall studs.

I don't know exactly what's what here, but the gap I want to fill is about a one inch gap at the back of the vent. So the vent would only pull air from inside the room, not from outside. I believe the gap opens to the space behind the outside brick. The lower piece is solid wood with an angular cut, which is right above the basement, then the small gap, then some softer particle board or something. I believe I can also feel tar paper thru the gap.

I hope that helps. It's difficult to explain.

Are you suggesting I seal it with duct tape? It looks like that tape is for metal ducts. This gap is between pieces of wood. I wonder how well it would adhere. Also because of the shape, I feel it would be difficult to get a good seal with tape.

My main question is, is there any reason not to seal this gap? For example, maybe it serves a purpose like creating airflow to the outside wall. I don't know.

There is no reason for conditioned air to mix with outside air like this so seal it up as best you can. Better would have been to cut a vent into the floor and close this up with insulation in the wall.

Ok, thanks! Unfortunately I recently discovered my walls have no insulation whatsoever (old house). So insulating this small area wouldn't make much difference.

I appreciate the help.

Latest posts

Back