Ideas for a sloping floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dont know about your area, around here. they dig a hole approx 4'x4'x4' on the corners, and middle

different per house

lift the foundation to level. then concrete the hole.

I like the idea of finding exactly what is wrong before fixing things.
Can you check if the basement slab floor has a similar slope?
With a hammer if you tap the floor in the basement all over you will find if there are voids under, those areas sound different.

Is the foundation a block wall that has been stuccod or parged?

The basement floor definitely has the same slope. Its carpeted, but I can feel it. Maybe this weekend I'll tear into the wall a little and see what the foundation looks like

That's likely the best to do to see what's going on.
Water can do a lot of dammage but making a foundation sink isn't usually one of them The footing under the foundation wasn't big enough for the soil condition under it. Today more would have been taken out and back filled with better material.
The brick on the house is a red flag for me as I have not enugh experience with that. From what I have seen The starter coarse is sitting on a lip in the foundation or and angle iron bolted to the foundation. So lifting the house off the foundation leaves a big question on what happens to the brick.
When this sagged it must have left cracks in the brick work, if all that has been repointed, that would stop the brick from moving back to where they belong.

have you heard of the cable lock process? check out this video

this is an advertisement, ignore that. ck out the way its done

http://www.olshanfoundation.com/content/about-cable-lock-st-plus

Yes, that is one of many methods that can be very expensive. But first you have to determin the condition of the foundation and footing. In most cases just jacking the house is miles cheaper and is a job that a home owner is able to do for very little money and in some cases a new footing can be added to the inside to support the house. Stil the question remains with any system that is aplied is the brick work and what it does.

on a slab house, its part of the foundation.

img_0913.jpg

538701_334457676615303_100001532198186_941406_673896100_n.jpg

Last edited:
on a slab house, its part of the foundation.

]

Yes sometime and youir point is what?
Something has moved up to four inches, now go look at the picture of the house and see if you can see the kind of cracks in the brick that should be there if there was 4 inches of movement.
I think you have made a suggestion here and you think I am wrong about something.
Let's be clear, I have not made a recommendation and I have not got enough information yet.
A job like this has 20 what ifs that have to be answered and throwing 20 or 30K at a job isn't always the best answer but isn't out of the question

That's likely the best to do to see what's going on.
Water can do a lot of dammage but making a foundation sink isn't usually one of them The footing under the foundation wasn't big enough for the soil condition under it. Today more would have been taken out and back filled with better material.
The brick on the house is a red flag for me as I have not enugh experience with that. From what I have seen The starter coarse is sitting on a lip in the foundation or and angle iron bolted to the foundation. So lifting the house off the foundation leaves a big question on what happens to the brick.
When this sagged it must have left cracks in the brick work, if all that has been repointed, that would stop the brick from moving back to where they belong.

I thought there was a question as to how the brick is attached to the foundation. the picture i posted address's that.

it sits on the foundation, and is also tied to the framing with brick ties.

in my opinion, you can not lift the framing with the brick tied to it.
you need to lift the whole thing, or risk pulling the brick ties loose
and having the wall fail

your point on the pointing of the bricks, and going back ti original position is spot on

I have seen brick sitting on top of foundation, sitting on angle iron bolted ot the foundation and iron bolted to house. Any way that it is it can still be lifted with a little work and imagination. And if the foundation isn't good enough to lift it would need to be repaired or replaced, then you have to find a salution.

The basement floor definitely has the same slope. Its carpeted, but I can feel it. Maybe this weekend I'll tear into the wall a little and see what the foundation looks like

Things to look for and take photos of when wall is open.
Does the foundation go all the way up to support the floor or is there a ponywall on top of the foundation. How High?
Water or dampness on the wall, white crystalls on the foundation.
Type of foundation, concrete, concrete block or?
Cracks and movement or signs of previous repairs.

Check for rot at the top plate under the joists and joists or in the ponywall.
Stabing wood with a screwdriver is a pretty good basic test, just compare it with stabbing good wood.

I thought there was a question as to how the brick is attached to the foundation. the picture i posted address's that.

it sits on the foundation, and is also tied to the framing with brick ties.

in my opinion, you can not lift the framing with the brick tied to it.
you need to lift the whole thing, or risk pulling the brick ties loose
and having the wall fail

your point on the pointing of the bricks, and going back ti original position is spot on

Check how they saved the brick work on the one house.
http://www.wiebemovers.ca/index_files/Page608.htm

that is amazing. I hooked up a house in florida that was moved. it was a slab house. they picked up the slab and all

they got upset we would only guarantee the copper up to oup couplings.

they wanted us to accept responsibilty for the old copper in the walls. no no no!!!

anyway, it was interesting,

Well, we don't know how high the foundation comes.
First you have to find what the problem is, how bad it is, what needs to be done. And then look for the how to's.

Back