painted furniture

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSILY0869

Reaction score
I have an old chest that i sanded, primed and painted using a hi-gloss latex and then top-coated with poly-urethane. after 24 hours of drying time it is still 'tacky' to the touch. how long should i expect to be completely dry to the touch? should i have used different paint?

Was the latex paint completely dry before you applied the polyurethane?

How long did you allow the latex paint to dry before applying the polyurethane, and can you describe the drying conditions. That is, was the painted chest in a cool room or in a small room where the increase in humidity could have slowed the evaporation of water from the latex paint?

Why didn't you just stain the chest instead of painting it? I'd assume as the above poster that the issues is due to you not waiting long enough for the polyurethane to set and dry. Humidity can play a role, but with the time of year it is I'd doubt that be an issue unless you have a serious moisture problem.

The colors include clear blue, blue-green, apple-green, reseda, canary yellow, parchment, Chinese red, mulberry, almost anything you want. Black painted furniture with cleverly designed and brilliantly colored decorations is exceedingly smart.

Back