Space between bricks and foundation/siding

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stbridge85

Reaction score
We have a bump out on the front of our house that holds a pair of windows (two stories tall). But I think I'm getting water in on one part of it. The subfloor is damp and it smells musty after a good rain.

Attached is a photo. The other side has a cement or mortar all along side the brick work where it meets the foundation. It might be hard to tell but I can slide a finger between the foundation and the back of the bricks. I don't think that is good!

I guess my question is how do I repair this to prevent more water from leaking in? Do I use mortar, can I use caulk? How far would I dig down? Should I allow it to dry out inside of the rim joist (if even possible)

Thanks in advance for any advice. I'm handy but more with a wrench on mechanical stuff not so much carpentry and the like.

2015-11-06 08.09.39.jpg

You can buy a caulk for that. But brick does absorb water and there should be drip hole along the bottom row of bricks for the water to get out. You want to be carefull , if there are no weep holes you might be blocking the only hole water can get out of.

Latest posts

Back