Ceiling needs help

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gan_nair

Reaction score
First off I will start off by saying that a long time ago the house that I live in was involved in a tornado, it wasnt hit, but the wind screwed up the roof. A new roof was added onto the old one, which gave the house an attic, most of the ceiling inside the house is just fine, but there are a few spots in the kitchen and the dining room where the ceiling seems to be opening up. And it is getting worse, the spots all started out as cracks, then gradually became splits that were open.

I believe it is because the roof was leaking, before I fixed it, and got the insulation wet in the attic, and it is causing weight on the ceiling, which in turn made it split open in a few places. I am wondering how do I fix these?

Wet insulation will cause drywall to sag between fasteners, then the joints will split and the tape will curl and there will be a mess in the floor every day until it stabilizes.

With a plaster ceiling, the wood laths will get wet, swell, and the plaster will begin popping off. Cracks and splits may run in any direction.

Either way, the best solution is to replace with drywall. BUT, if the cracks and splits are stabilized and not getting worse, no sagging or pieces falling, you may be able to patch it up with drywall joint compound and it may last for several years. But if pieces are falling, it's time for a replacement.

Thanks for the advice, what it is, I asked my Dad, he said that the roof had been leaking, before I fixed it (loose shingles), and the rain had soaked into the insulation, which is what is causing the ceiling to split. So I actually just need patch up the areas that are split open? If so, I am sure that one of my books shows me how to do that, thanks for the reply.

Latest posts

Back