Repair external door knob/latch to 100% efficacy

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewclearassault

Reaction score
In the past, I've been able to lock my exterior door from the inside, close it, and leave the house knowing my door is locked.

A few weeks ago
I locked myself out of the house. Stupidly, I tried to break back into the house through the front door by various means, but ultimately failed (It was not my best day).

Now, when leaving the house to go to work, I have to lock the door with a key from the outside, because the latch will no longer budge for any reason when it's been locked, save from the inside of the house.

I have tried
* Taking the knob and latch off in uneducated attempts to repair it, to no avail.

* Lubricating the mechanisms of the knobs and latches.

* Check the alignment of the latch and the plate- they are still functional.

Can anyone tell me how to restore the door to it's original convenience? I know it's not really a necessity, but it just bugs me when something can be repaired easily and isn't.

P.S. The irony that by fixing this, I'll probably just lock myself out of the house again (Right now I HAVE to have my keys in my hand if I want to lock the house before work) is not lost on me!

Welcome to the site. Most people have dead bolts now and require a key to close it. Perhaps a photo of what you have and an explanation of what you did to it while you were locked out.

Thank you.

The door does have a separate deadbolt, but this problem is only with the latch/knob mechanism.

Here are some pictures of the Schlage doorknob and latch, disassembled.

I'm just kind of messing around with it now, seeing how it works.

IMG_0747.JPG

IMG_0748.JPG

I don't know enough about them, but I think HD sells replacement parts. Maybe some one who does know will come along.

Latest posts

Back