Wiring led dimmer from existing light switch

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condoowner

Reaction score
Hi!

I want to install a LED transformer and dimmer next to an existing light switch. I am really not sure how the kitchen was wired since there are 2 lights (ceiling and above sink) but I know which switch I want to use to feed my LED transformer. This switch currently "controls" the light above the sink.

As per the attached picture, the power seems to be coming in this switch, then off to the light. The ongoing red wire would (I think) feed the light, while the hot (black) is looped around the switch terminal to constantly feed something else (perhaps the other ceiling light?)

I am not sure of the wiring of the other light and stuff such as heating, range fan, outlets, etc. Does it matter anyways since the led will be using maybe 120W at 12V..? Not sure how much watts per foot really but it can be that much..

So if using this existing switch, would I simply connect the transformer's Hot wire to the current hot wire (black) and neutral with neutral (white)?

would it be that simple?
THanks!

IMG_0835.jpg

Last edited:
You need to find out if power come to this box first or goes to the light first. The red in there sometimes indicate two cercuits, so when you turn off the breaker you still may have a live wire in the box. Pull the light and see how meny wires you have in that box and is the red one there too.

Looks to me like you have power coming in and going out on the black wires. The white is the neutral. The red is the switched power to the light.

Back