Door Installed "Out of Plum" Deliberately

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdgallo

Reaction score
Hopefully I will not make this post too long for all. Also, please note that I posted this topic on another DIY forum and hope I am not offending anyone by posting it here. I am trying to get as much information about this as I can. I just would like to know how many contractors on this forum deliberately install an exterior entry door "out of plumb".
The situation I have is this:
I recently had a certified Pella contractor install an exterior Pella Encompass fiberglass 6 panel door in my house (this is an entry door from my garage to my utility room). After the installation I noticed that the brick molding of the door at the top of the striker side of the door did not contact the exterior face of the wall. The gap between the exterior brick molding of the door and the wall is about 3/16 of an inch (see photo #1) below. Sorry the picture has been rotated 90 degrees to the left, but it happened when I attached it). When I saw this gap, I also noticed that the vertical face seal and the horizontal face seal of the door were barely contacting the door for about a 1 1/2 feet in this area of the door (see photo #2 below). After seeing this, I got my 2 foot level out to check plumb of the door (I realize that I really need a 6 to 8 foot level, but this is all I have) and found the top of striker side of the door is pitched outward. The hinged side is plumb. (see photo #3 below). Photo #4 is of the 2 foot level positioned against the striker side of the door frame and then moved outward at its bottom to center the bubble of the level so you can see how far out of plumb the door is. When the face of the door is flush with the jamb at the bottom of the door, there is a little over 1/4 gap between the door face and the jamb at the top, which shows that the door frame is pushed outward at the top. This is exactly what my "little" 2 foot level shows. I am attaching a picture of the gap at the top of the door when the face of the door is flush with the jamb at the bottom (photo #5) I contacted my contractor that installed the door and he came by to look at it. After looking at it and checking my walls on the outside and on the inside, he told me that he installed the door "out of plumb" to get the "best fit" because the walls of the door opening were bowed.
I am just curious as to how many of the contractors on this forum install doors out of plumb in order to get a "best fit" due to "bowed" walls.
I am not insinuating my contractor did anything wrong. I have a machinist's background and therefore a thorough understanding of straightness, perpendicularity, flatness, etc. and I just don't understand how deliberately installing a door out of plumb compensates for wall irregularities.
Thanks in advance to all that reply to this thread.

IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_1006.jpg

Last edited:
When you install a door if everything is straight and level and plumb, you shove the frame in till the brick mold is tight check the fit in the frame and nail it up.
The problem here is that is likely all that guy knows how to do it. He probably didn't have tools with him to fix it, if he new how.
He should have set the unit in the hole so the brick mold only touched the worst spot, wedged it there straight and level and plumb..
Then measure the widest gap between the molding and the wall. If that was a 1/4" scribe 1/4 all the way around the molding on the out side.
With a skill saw set at the depth of the with of the molding that sticks out from the frame cut the scribed line and remove that wood, saving the wood that is cut off.
Now when he places the door the molding fits against the wall and the door would be very close to what he wants
When the interior molding is applied there will be a gap in some places and the scraps from the outside may be used to fill the gaps, then make it all look as best you can with dap.

Thanks for the reply. This contractor has been doing this for 40 years. Am I correct saying the door should have been installed plumb?

Thanks for the reply. This contractor has been doing this for 40 years. Am I correct saying the door should have been installed plumb?

Yes; even if it meant it was mostly proud on the garage side and left you with figuring out how to fix the molding. It should have been discussed as he could not install it as planned.

Yes; even if it meant it was mostly proud on the garage side and left you with figuring out how to fix the molding. It should have been discussed as he could not install it as planned.

Experienced installers, people who work with and know the irregularities of building should have noticed this immediately and disclosed to the OP those irregularities and afforded the OP the option to select.

Good enough, isn't.

Thanks for the replies, guys. In my opinion, my contractor fed me a line of BS. He just plain nailed this door in place without getting it plumb (he should have pushed the top in against the wall). Then when he came back at my request, he just plain lied about putting it in to compensate for the walls. Why in the hell he would not admit he messed up and take a half hour to fix it is beyond me. I have used this guy several times before, but apparently he felt compelled to feed me a line of crap. The walls are a bit bowed, but the old door was in there just fine. Thanks again for the responses.

Thanks for the replies, guys. In my opinion, my contractor fed me a line of BS. He just plain nailed this door in place without getting it plumb (he should have pushed the top in against the wall). Then when he came back at my request, he just plain lied about putting it in to compensate for the walls. Why in the hell he would not admit he messed up and take a half hour to fix it is beyond me. I have used this guy several times before, but apparently he felt compelled to feed me a line of crap. The walls are a bit bowed, but the old door was in there just fine. Thanks again for the responses.

The whole idea of having an exterior door into the garage is to seal out off gasses from cars so you will need to get that fixed. You want the door to close right and you want to be able to seal up around the molding. I guess you need a new guy, he may have different ideas what to do but you will know by attitude whether to hire him or not.

The whole idea of having an exterior door into the garage is to seal out off gasses from cars so you will need to get that fixed. You want the door to close right and you want to be able to seal up around the molding. I guess you need a new guy, he may have different ideas what to do but you will know by attitude whether to hire him or not.

Yeah, I am not done with this. I have emailed my Pella sales person and asked him if he would stop by to take a look at this fine installation. I also asked him if Pella would stand behind their warranty on a door installed out of plumb. I will eventually get this right even if I have to do it myself with my old, crippled up body. Ha!

Back