What are these screws? New Window

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dorkiedoode

Reaction score
I noticed that there are two screws on top of our Jeld-Wen(lets keep brand out of this topic) window from Home Depot. Can anyone tell me why it is there and wow do you trim around it?!!:mad:

The window was installed by nailing the fins into the sheathing. After flashing the borders, my assumption was to trim around the window but those screws are in the way!!!!

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

Look at the install direction stuck right to the window.
If your talking about the ones in the middle of the window not the top there for adjusting the adjusting the gap in the middle of the frame.
To much gap and there's going to be air leaks, and the sash will drop.

Look at the install direction stuck right to the window.
If your talking about the ones in the middle of the window not the top there for adjusting the adjusting the gap in the middle of the frame.
To much gap and there's going to be air leaks, and the sash will drop.

Hi Joe, I was talking about the two screws on top of the window. The instructions does not go any further than installing the flashing :mad:

Pictures do not show the top of the window and there still wrapped in plastic so how would anyone now what screw your talking about?
Unwrap them and look at the install directions.

Are your pictures rotated correctly (are they casement windows?)? Did you get instructions with them? Once installed, the screws will probably never get touched again, and they should not interfere with trimming.

I'm not sure why the picture orientation is off by 90 degrees but if you rotate the image 90 degrees to the right, you will be looking at the top - exterior of the window.

I'm currently away for school so the picture I uploaded was from Home Depot. There were instructions included, but like I mentioned, it does not offer any instructions pass the flashing of the window. I will include the link below.

http://www.jeld-wen.com/images/stories/pdf/installation_instructions/jii001.pdf

I do not believe it is a casement window. These are common vinyl windows that you can find at the local HD or Lowes.

Last edited:
Will they be in the way when you do the flashing
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im9lCsghBLY[/ame]

Back