Roof repair Project Phase 2 - Back Lana

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voyager

Reaction score
It looks as if Phase 1 - The Pergola may begin to bog down while the tool situation gets sorted out.

So I'll begin to look at phase 2.
Some where between taking the old bad parts out and putting the new good parts in, M'Lady wants the Black Alge washed from the metal roofing. I've seen signs of a snail or slug eating the black alge off the roof's surface.

Our roof is the water source for our catchment system for our domestic water. Slugs and snails are the vector that can infect people with rat-lung worm. I want the alge off the roof also. As long as I'm doing that, I want to clean the solar array also. It was installed about 1-1/2 yrs. ago and need to be cleaned anyway.

I am no longer a 20-something with delusions of immortality. I'm now a 70-something that still has delusions of immortality. But, I do not want to spend the rest of eternity as a quadriplegic. I want to install a fall arrest system on the roof for my use. This is a metal roof. Every anchor I see looks to be for a gabled or flat composite type surface, or a commercial type of installation. I need something that installs permanently that is suitable for a residential metal roof and protects the metal roof cap.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
OK, I'm coming up with a plan.

I'll pick up 4 of these:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/UpGear-by-Werner-Permanent-Roof-Anchor-A230302/203907991

And one of these:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-Roofing-Safety-System-K211201/203907961
It has a 50' life line, lanyard and harness.

They're not carried in-store, but can be ordered for pickup at the store with no shipping charges.
It'll take a month to a month and a half for them to get here, with luck.

Then, install them like so:

Only possible problem is that they'll have to go under the ridge cap.
I need to go up tomorrow and take a look at it.
By everything right and proper, it should have been installed with screws to the ridges in the roof panels.
If so, removing and replacing the ridge cap should be no problem.
If it was nailed, I'll need to look at it a bit more before deciding on this approach.

Last edited:
And while you are there, you can grab the roto hammer and bit for the other project.

Prior, proper, planning.

OK, I'm coming up with a plan.

I'll pick up 4 of these:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/UpGear-by-Werner-Permanent-Roof-Anchor-A230302/203907991

And one of these:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-Roofing-Safety-System-K211201/203907961
It has a 50' life line, lanyard and harness.

They're not carried in-store, but can be ordered for pickup at the store with no shipping charges.
It'll take a month to a month and a half for them to get here, with luck.

Then, install them like so:

Only possible problem is that they'll have to go under the ridge cap.
I need to go up tomorrow and take a look at it.
By everything right and proper, it should have been installed with screws to the ridges in the roof panels.
If so, removing and replacing the ridge cap should be no problem.
If it was nailed, I'll need to look at it a bit more before deciding on this approach.

That system will not work. You have to more than 10 ft off the ground for that to stop you and then you need person 2 to help you down as you are stuck hanging.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK4hahDBuLQ[/ame]

Last edited:
I understand what your saying guys. But, you don't know what's at work here.
I hate heights. I hate to fly. I hate edges and precipices.
Without fall protection I would be very nervous and shaky while up on that roof, making me likely to screw up and take a fall. Wearing protection would put me at complete ease while up there. Then I can concentrate on the job and being safe. I have spent a lot of time working from scaffolding and cherry pickers in high bay aircraft hangars and such. I know what makes me safest up there. And, that is feeling safe.

I'll be going out in a bit to look at the ridge cap. I sure hope it is screwed on and not nailed.

I understand the need for safety but that system is not intended for a roof 10 ft or less off the ground.

I do not mean to discount your being correct about it not being fully effective in the OSHA type standard it is trying to fulfill. You are right!

My need is not for safety, but for feeling safe. Plus, by the 10' or more criteria, there is no reasonable system available for use on a single story residential roof, at least not for a permanent installation that I've been able to find. I see myself as being better off to get it, install it and use it rather than to not do so. It is worth the $200 bucks to me just to have it there. It will make it easier to go up to do the regular maintenance chores I need to do but have been putting off because I don't want to be up there.

It looks like we may never come to an agreement on whether or not this will be doing the job, because we see it as fulfilling 2 different functions. Granted, my need is not by the book. That has never been a problem for me as long as I get what I want out of it.

Last edited:
So that system is designed to save your life if you fall, you will want to adjust it so you never fall.
put a knot in the rope so you never reach the edge of the roof.
Don't use the lanyard that come with it.

Well, It looks as if I'll need to think on this a bit more. The ridge cap is nailed on at every ridge in the roof panels, They must have been afraid someone was going to try picking the house up by the ridge cap.

I may be able to shim under the cap with a block of wood to support it. Then, form the strap over the cap and down to the panels on both sides.

Or, go with this type of anchor:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Qualcraf...lip-Roof-Anchor-System-3-Pack-10560/205533953

I think I like the second type better than routing over the cap.
It is not stocked either and will need to be ordered.
I'd need 6 or 7 of those to get the job done.

@ nealtw
Keep in mind that the only reason I want to get these installed and usable up there is for Pressure washing the black alge off the roof panels, and using a scrub brush on a pole to clean the solar panels, now and in the future. I have no intent of doing any major work up on the metal roof. Everything I'm discussing now is a side issue to the lanai repair job. M'Lady wants the roof cleaned. As long as I'm screwing around with a roof, I'll clean the alge to keep her happy. As long as I'm doing that, I'll clean the solar panels to keep me happy.
All of the lanai repair and rebuild work will be done from ladders or keeling on plywood sheets laying on the lanai roof panels.
There is no need for me to be on the metal roof to get any of the lanai work done.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back