Help with Outside Garage Lighting

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I checked the junction box with the red wiring I found in my basement close to the breaker panel for power with the breaker off and it still had power, so it's not on the same circuit.

Regarding the Wire Tracer I think I am just going to break down and buy the Sperry Wire Tracer/Tracker. It's only $39.99 at CT. I think I will try my luck with that.

This should have been easy. All junctions should be in a box that you can find somewhere in the house.
As that has not happened, we can suspect that you have a junction hidden somewhere behind a wall.

If with a tracer you find that the wire stops somewhere in the wall will you be willing to open walls to find the problem or would you then be looking at a way to kill the old wire as best we can and find another way to solve the problem. And we can.

I am willing to open up walls. I really want to find and fix this problem. So I am willing to do almost anything at this point.

So, I checked the junction box with the red wiring I found in my basement close to the breaker panel for power with the breaker off and it still had power, so it's not on the same circuit.

Regarding the Wire Tracer I think I am just going to break down and buy the Sperry Wire Tracer/Tracker. It's only $39.99 at CT. I think I will try my luck with that.

When you have the sperry and are ready for the boring and mundane process of elimination, let us know.

When you have the sperry and are ready for the boring and mundane process of elimination, let us know.

You and Bud and Slownsteady all seam to be on the same page. I just don't understand the hurry in finishing this up with quick solution.

The OP has limited experience and limited time to spend on the problem.
He is willing to learn and should find any problem that could turn out to be fire hazard.

Even before we find the cause of this problem we can see at least three code violations, just because he doesn't see them, should we ignore them.

It's close to 24 pages of pillar to post, with, despite several assurances, the solution is no closer than the 1st post.

There is a boring, systematic process of elimination.

It's close to 24 pages of pillar to post, with, despite several assurances, the solution is no closer than the 1st post.

There is a boring, systematic process of elimination.

So the length of a thread should be determined by some coefficient of boredom. Or by the number of posts.:confused:

The success of the thred, in providing a path too the solution, lies in the number of relevant posts.

Since this is also a teaching forum, having to wade through the chafe of the sidetracks this thred has taken may be illuminating, it's hardly expedient to the solution.

Ok you have made some progress as now you have ruled something out that could have been a likely termination point.

I would start in the basement directly below the switches on the first floor. Find wires and find Jboxes and test them in a similar way. Keep digging and testing and you will figure out what you have.

You could have a buried connection in a wall with or without a Jbox but it is highly unlikely.

While that switch leg may or may not have a "J" box in the line prior to its being routed to the garage, the OP needs also to expose the ends of the conduits that leave the basement in the direction of the garage and tell us the count.

As stated, there are a number of things he can accomplish with just the proximity tester.

Again, with only the breaker that controls that bank of switches on and with only the switch connected to the red wire on, he can check to see if there is voltage present, with the proximity tester, in the romex entering the basement beneath the switch bank.

If there is than where does it go? To a "J" box? To a conduit leaving the basement?

What is your location? If you were anywhere near me I would come over and assist you.

You mention Canadian Tire so I know you are at least in Canada.

Last edited:
Petawawa, Ontario.

Even though I said I am willing to take down walls or part of the ceiling, I am not willing to take down the whole lot of it just to find out the cause. If I go directly below where the wire should be underneath the switch, all I see are tiles in the basement ceiling. These tiles are not drop ceiling tiles that are easy lifted up and set back into place. I have easily broken one or two of these tiles already to look for a cable wire, so I really don't want to break anymore unless I have to.

So needless to say I want this wire tracer to try to determine at least the general location before removing tiles or parts of walls. And I even have my doubts that this Sperry device will detect far enough through a wall/ceiling/floor. But I haven't used one before so I maybe wrong.

I wouldn't think that breaking walls is a necessity, at this point.

If the tiles are the typical 12X12 interlocking you can remove one to determine where the tongue is, so that they can be fairly easily replaced.

However, if you are unwilling to indulge in a defined method, there are still some avenues that may or may not result in any satisfaction.

JoeD has express a level of faith in the Fluke.

So what you're saying is that the Fluke one is better than the Sperry one I am thinking about getting?

Actually I'm saying only that JoeD has stated a positive experience with the Fluke.

Also when you read the specs from the Fluke site, the use restrictions which exist on the Sperry site, are not present on the Fluke site.

I've used neither of these 2 products, because I'm old school, process of elimination.

However, I have both Sperry and Fluke measuring devices and find the Fluke to be of marginally superior quality, while the Sperry are a good general use device.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I would like to buy the better one. Might just take a little longer for shipping.

Just ordered the Fluke Networks Pro 3000. Just have to wait till it comes in, figure out how to use it and then I will report back with results.

Just ordered the Fluke Networks Pro 3000. Just have to wait till it comes in, figure out how to use it and then I will report back with results.

Good deal, and as long you are confident in your ability to isolate the conductor/s you need to test for their location.

Latest posts

Back