How to make this weatherproof box flush with dishwasher end panel?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why are you using that box? From your other posts I know you're looking to use a shallow box, there are shallow boxes that will do what you need to do. You don't need to use a weatherproof box in this application.

Does your countertop have much of an overhang? If you have more than an inch or two, I'd install a piece of plug mold or a long plug strip and install the box inside the cabinet. That gives you more outlets and doesn't have the box staring right at you. Just route the cord to the inside of the cabinet and plug it in. That is what I did when I expanded my island. You could do this on the side or back if it is an island or a peninsula.

Why are you using that box? From your other posts I know you're looking to use a shallow box, there are shallow boxes that will do what you need to do. You don't need to use a weatherproof box in this application.

Because it's right next to a dishwasher. Thought it might get wet from steam?

Is there any way to make this flush that you know of?

You don't need it, the only steam coming out of the dishwasher will come out of the door when you open it, or out of the vent on the front panel.

Get the right kind of shallow box rather than trying to bastardize the wrong one. If you can't find a shallow old work box, you could use these:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/RACO-2-Pac...Wall-Electric-Box-Mounting-Hardware/999958903

or these; You can find them at the home center and buy what you need.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/e...m_term=4582627026478408&utm_content=Catch All

Or just screw them to the panel using the plaster ears on the box.

Last edited:
If you want to continue your conduit installation then you will need to attach blocking to the back of your panel to adjust for the mounting feet on your boxes for something to attach to. You could also find a flange face PFC box that is intended for panel installation.

Or follow the above advice and transaction from a conduit system to a conventional old work box and use threaded in connections with flex conduit if you feel the need for such.

:thumbup:

But it works well with the rest of the conduit setup though.

Back