low water

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicalotapi

Reaction score
Hey,

We just moved into a house and realize the water in the bowl of our toilet is VERY low, barely covering the drain hole. My wife and I are wondering if there is a way to increase the water level in the bowl.

Interesting question.... Probably some experts out there who will know better but I've always presumed water level in the bowl was a function of the trap height. This means its non adjustable for any given toilet. I wonder if wear could make the trap height shorter causing this problem? Possibly the suction could artifically lower the level but that could be somewhat adjusted by the extra flow going down the overflow tube while the tank is filling?

One possibility is that the small (usually) black hose that comes off the ball cock or fill valve in the tank and attaches to the drain is not connected to the drain.

The purpose of this 'bowl refill tube' is to add water directly to the bowl.

If the fill hose is missing or not connected to the drain, not enough water will enter the bowl and hence the water level will be too low.

toilet.gif

Here's another view:

bowlrefilltube.gif

Back