finishing a second story

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gustopho

Reaction score
My wife and I bought a house a few months back and got an amazing piece on it. It's is a 4 bedroom 2 bath. The house was built in '59 so the pavement of the stairs is ridiculous right small in the middle of the living room. The home had a full basement, pied concrete not block. The second story ruins the long length of home but is only half the width and had curbed walls. This is what I am guys is the master loft bedroom. Our had a one car attached garage of of the kitchen. We want to turn this into living space and make the upstairs a full second story. My question is is there a good chance that the footing and foundation is capable of spring the addition of the other half to make it a full second story. I know that I will have to pour footing in what is now the garage so I'm just looking for the answer to the question about the existing foundation being able to support the full second story.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the site. The usual answer is yes but it will be up to the permit dept. you we need to know what you have.

And they will probably require a structural engineer to sign off on the plans.

Back