DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Painting Forum > Painting brick fireplace, stain vs prime + paint

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 09-07-2017, 12:22 AM  
PolyBatman
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Painting brick fireplace, stain vs prime + paint

Hello, I have been doing some research on this and I've got some mixed reviews. I've seen someone people recommend stain because it allows the brick to breathe but I haven't been too impressed with the color saturation of the brick with a stain. I've also seen people go with a masonry primer and then use a regular latex paint over the primer. I want to paint my brick fireplace a grey color and repaint the brass door/trim black. What are your thoughts on which route I should take? Also I don't mind using a brush to clean up the brick along with some TSP to clean the surface to get the best adherence possible.

Old 09-07-2017, 01:58 PM  
DFBonnett
Retired decorating contractor
Liked 60 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I did a few over the years. Good results were obtained by cleaning as much as possible followed by priming with an aggressive acrylic primer then top coating with a first line 100% acrylic.
PolyBatman Likes This 
Old 09-08-2017, 01:26 AM  
PolyBatman
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFBonnett View Post
I did a few over the years. Good results were obtained by cleaning as much as possible followed by priming with an aggressive acrylic primer then top coating with a first line 100% acrylic.
Perfect, I'll go that route, thank you.