Waterproof edge of floor?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airfrm

Reaction score
I am going to be replacing my kitchen floor very soon with the vinyl planks. They say they are 100% waterproof! but my question refers to the border. Waterproofing the floor is great, but if the water runs to the edge, it will just seep into the wall. It there someway to maybe seal the baseboard, or the 1/4 round so the edge is waterproof so it can help save the wall from water damage? I'm not wanting to make a pool out of the floor, but just looking to save the wall in case enough water gets on the floor to travel to the edge.

The vinyl plank I just installed needs the ability to expand 1/4", so theoretically, if expansion is to be considered, then no, it can not be sealed along the perimeter. When I installed in my bathroom, I got to within 1/8" from the tub, then caulked with a color matched silicone to seal that particular edge, but allowed nearly 1/3" for expansion on the opposite side.

get-attachment (2).jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the site, even the caulk between the floor and the tub has to be checked often because everything in the house expands and contracts at different rates.

Would silicone caulk have enough flexibility to allow the flooring to expand. If you caulked at the height of the summer, would the caulk pull loose in the winter?

More likely some spots wouldn't seal allowing water in where it wood stay and do more damage than if it got a little wet and dryed out. All you would end up with is crap on the floor that looks like crap on the floor.

Make sure the caulk has silicone built into it for flexibility.

BTW...this is a great signature....

All you would end up with is crap on the floor that looks like crap on the floor.

Make sure the caulk has silicone built into it for flexibility.

BTW...this is a great signature....

All you would end up with is crap on the floor that looks like crap on the floor.
If the crap fits, you can have it.

I think your definition of "waterproof" and the flooring mfg's definition are not quite the same. Does it mean submersible? Probably not. You're installing vinyl plank which has seams, potential "leak" sites.
If you're planning on that much water on your kitchen floor, your more likely to get damage to your base cabinets wicking up water rather than your baseboard, sheetrock or 2x wall plates.
Personally, I think you're over thinking it. You're better off just preventing water leaks.

Thanks for the insight. I was couscous about silicone but didn't know how it would look or hold up. If it was something I would have to replace once a year. It would be nice if they made something for residential that looked good, but did the same as some commercial applications where the waterproof floor would roll up on the wall about an inch.

Back