Septic Tank Aerator - Need Some Advice

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slim05

Reaction score
Hey Folks!

I purchased a home at the end of last year which has a JET septic tank system. I had a local vendor out today to do an inspection of the system and to explain the operation and required maintenance, as this is my first home on a septic.

As far as I understand I have two tanks with a concrete wall in between them, one collects the solids and the other allows the liquid to flow into the tank with the Jet Aerator Pump.

The vendor advised that the Jet Aerator Pump is no longer functioning in that while it is running and stirring, that no air is entering through the air inlet. He advised that my pump is the old style which does not allow for a rod to be put clear through to ensure there is no blockage. I was quoted approximately $695.00 for a new aerator pump.

My question is this:

It seemed to me that the pump literally just sits down inside the opening and plugs into the plug sitting under my cover. Is this something I can replace myself?

I found the Ultra-Air Model 735 online for only $395. It appears to be the exact same function as the 25+ year old one that I already have.

Is there any reason I couldn't purchase this pump for $395.00 and put in it in order to save myself the $300?

Thanks for any insight you all can provide!

I see no reason you can’t replace it as a DIY, if you have the skills to connect a few wires safely and do the assembly.

I have had septic systems my whole life and the last one I built 100% on my own but I am far from an expert. None that I have ever had have any type of an aerator. Mine have all been gravity systems and the one we built for my nephew had a lift pump because his sand mound was placed higher than the tank. I never had any problems with systems that were passive without aerators. Not sure if codes now require such or the reason to have one.

I see no reason you can’t replace it as a DIY, if you have the skills to connect a few wires safely and do the assembly.

I have had septic systems my whole life and the last one I built 100% on my own but I am far from an expert. None that I have ever had have any type of an aerator. Mine have all been gravity systems and the one we built for my nephew had a lift pump because his sand mound was placed higher than the tank. I never had any problems with systems that were passive without aerators. Not sure if codes now require such or the reason to have one.

Bud, it is a waist treatment plant and with out that pump it will plug up the system.

Bud, it is a waist treatment plant and with out that pump it will plug up the system.

So from this type of a septic system no solid waste products are ever removed? Is the water leaving the septic system clean enough to be discharged into a waterway?

Maybe I was confused as he called it a septic system. All the ones I’m familiar with the solids are separated from the liquids with baffles and the solids are broken down with bacteria but every other year or so what remains is pumped out. Gray water passes thru and is filtered into the earth and evaporated out of the top in a leach field.

So from this type of a septic system no solid waste products are ever removed? Is the water leaving the septic system clean enough to be discharged into a waterway?

Maybe I was confused as he called it a septic system. All the ones I’m familiar with the solids are separated from the liquids with baffles and the solids are broken down with bacteria but every other year or so what remains is pumped out. Gray water passes thru and is filtered into the earth and evaporated out of the top in a leach field.

I think think the waist water can go to storm sewer but I don't know enough about it or if they are all the same.:confused:

Back