kitchen floor questions

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frisbie217

Reaction score
I'm remodeling my kitchen, the walls are tan cabinets are espresso countertops are wheat granite (tan with brown and black stone)and stainless appliances. I want to put down slate tile but I don't know what color floor would look good

any suggestions?

I hope your subfloor can handle slate. Most cannot.

Sounds like my kitchen. With these new colors, I would certainly not pick the color of the floor we had previously chosen, but rather a beige colored travertine or plank.

7-8-14.jpg

I'm with Sam here, it's all about plywood thickness and size and length of floor joists, and distance between them or there can be a big dissapoinment on the way.

You may want to think about what will happen if someone drops a pan or glass plate on the slate floor. The kitchen is a place where stuff is likely to be dropped. So the material you choose should be picked with that in mind. You don't want something that will crack if a heavy pan is dropped.

Wood and laminate are not good options if there is going to be water splashing out of the sink...

I wish I could remember the url for some of those home design things where you can paste in different colors/patterns for flooring, walls, etc. Something you can do if you have a photo program like Photo Explosion, PhotoShop, or GIMP: take photos of your kitchen and then look at flooring options. Find pictures of flooring options and angle them a bit and paste them in to another layer to see how they would look. Of course, samples would also be good to see how they look with your actual lighting and shadows.

I second the vote for pictures.

Grey. You can get a ceramic that looks like slate or wood, you can get everything that looks like something else but is better these days.

Back