Was it a coincidence or did... (Outdoor flood light question)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TenTwelve

Reaction score
... compact fluorescent flood light bulb kill my outdoor fixture? One of my conventional bulbs dies so, I replaced it with a fluorescent and left the other conventional one in the other side. The fixture was set for dusk-to-dawn operation and now the conventional bulb is dead and the fixture stays on all day. Is it a coincidence that the thing is malfunctioning or did the fluorescent bulb do something goofy?

Welcome TenTwelve:
Its a coincidence; even though the two bulbs would draw drastically different wattages, the fixture has no way of knowing it. You might try locating the photo-cell and clean the lense. Sometimes it makes a difference but, if that doesn't help, a new photo-cell may be in order.
Glenn

CFL sometimes will not work in some motion devices. The devices draw minimal currnets through the bulb when off. Put a regular bulb in the other socket and it may work again.

I would check the fixture for flourescent compatibility, most motion floods won't work with them. And as far as the bulbs go, they all burn out pretty close together, time wise. Good luck......

Back