Garage floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clonus

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm happy to see a forum like this. I don't know why I didn't just google something but I tried reading books and asking friends with no real explanation to my problem.

I have a garage separated from the house.

I have some concerns.

1) The neighbors yard floods in the spring, depending on snow fall, and sometimes the flooding comes into the back corner of my garage floor. Not much but still makes it damp, therefore I can't put anything there with materials that will be damaged by water. I want to raise my garage OR do something to stop the flooding.

My garage floor has split and cracked, the foundation is about 50 years old, I am assuming the structure is, however in great shape.

2) I need to winterize the garage entirely or partially and don't know what I need to do first.

My concern is raising the garage off the original concrete floor and insert cinder blocks around the base may be too risky. My idea was to brace and raise the garage, drop some blocks in and repour the concrete floor.

OR

I could create a subfloor with half the garage and box that section in.

I think I would prefer partial winterizing of the garage over the entire thing.

What are some suggestions for the floor?

Should I not bother with the raising or repour?
If I repour I assume the issue with the floor cracks may not be solved.

I'm not sure what kind of problems and things I need to keep in mind before attempting anything here. Any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated.

thanks all!
Cloe

A repour will cost approximately half the cost of the entire structure.

Subfloors and/or cinder blocks won't remedy the flooding.
Lifting the structure will also be expensive especially if you have utilities involved (electrical, gas, water, etc...).

Your best bet is to address the issue directly and implement some type of flood control (grading and/or drainage piping) around the outside of the perimeter of the structure to prevent it from coming in.

Last edited:
Back