Do Moldy Walls Have to be Removed by Expert?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoldMan

Reaction score
I just registered for the forum.

I'm having a house repaired. A drug addict messed it up. Water was allowed to run out into the crawlspace for years, and the walls are black with mold. A licensed mold remediation guy and a general contractor have told us the drywall--all of it--has to come out. The contractor does not work with the mold guy, but he agreed that a mold guy is required. He says his people can't do it.

The area in question is around 1500 square feet (floors, not walls). The walls and ceilings are really nasty, but they are not cracked or buckled. We have been told that the drywall has to be taken out by a licensed mold guy, and he will then make sure mold levels in the house are acceptable before a contractor goes in to put in new drywall. He says it's going to run around 10K just for the demolition.

I am wondering:

1. Is it really necessary to hire a mold expert just to remove walls and put them in a dumpster?

2. Does this price sound even remotely reasonable? I used this guy on a much smaller job, and I have no doubts about his honesty or professionalism, but that seems like a lot of money.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Welcome to the site. Yes all this sounds right, they have to ware special suits and bag every peice of drywall, wash that bag before it leaves the house and dispose of it properly it is a big job and they should be experts at it and likely charge plenty for it. The air test when they are done should be done by a third party.

Back