Mud jacking concrete slab

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinny186

Reaction score
I got several estimates on raising my patio and one concrete step. One contractor said it might be too difficult to raise the step and the second said the step MUST be raised otherwise there would be cracking in the slab. What are your opinions on this issue?

Personally, i don't see why the step must be raised in order to prevent cracking, it's not as if they're connected. Also, the top step is level.

The second contractor also asked if I would still pay him 30% of the whole bid even if he couldn't get the slab/step to lift. Is this standard?

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg

The top step wants to slope away from the house so if they move that, it would be causing other problems. I am not sure 30% is unreasonable so he can recover some of his costs, would the other guy charge full even if he couldn't fix it.
What is the quote. Sometimes it would better just to remove and replace.

The top step is level so there's no reason to do anything with it, the second step is what he would raise. The first guy made no mention of not being able to fix it. The second guy quoted
$600.

I think the second guy is worried about the top step but it cost you 200 just to find out.
I think you could replace that 6 ft square for the same money.

Does it make any sense that lifting the pad would affect the bottom step?

One rock between the top and bottom step and the lift will effect the top step, then he packs up and leaves because he won't want to move the top step.;)

I think you're saying if he tries to raise the bottom step it could affect the top?

But if he only raises the pad, could that affect the bottom step?

It looks like it was all one piece so yes moving the slab would move the step.

The other thing that should be considered is both steps are already a tripping hazard.
The rise should never be more than 7 7/8 inches and the rise of the steps should be the same or within 1/4 of the same measure.

That might not be reason to change them but it is something to be considered.

thanks for the advice, Neal. I'll report back when the job is done. I might just knock out the bottom step and re-pour it myself.

That might be the best answer. If the step and slab are one piece, rent a saw with diamond blade and cut across in front of the step.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SiS99IYP0M[/ame]

Here's the completed project. The contractor did a nice job.

pad1.jpg

pad2.jpg

Back