Greetings and salutations

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockgod

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Just joined and introducing myself.
My name is Dave and I'm a self-trained (google and youtube) Handyman.

2 years ago I bought a 112 year old house that needed just a little work. Mostly all aesthetics. fundamentals were all good.
just a couple projects I've done:
-laid a 25x25 SF paver patio (had some help)
-removed 25x25 SF concrete patio and replaced with sod
-removed carpet and refinished ~900 SF of hardwood floors and stairwell
-installed custom windowsills
-installed a couple ceiling fans and chandeliers
-rewired 1rst floor electric
-converted house electric from 60
amp fuses to 220 circuit breaker (had help on that one)
-built and installed custom wainscoting panels
-skim coated LR, DR and entryway walls
-built an additional bedroom
-built a window seat
-built a new front porch (had some help)
-custom made several pieces of furniture

I have a few other projects in the works, which is why I joined this forum. I'm always asking questions and I think most of my pros at work are getting tired of it.
I want to redo some ductwork and at least prep for installing central air. Add a walk-in closet in the master bedroom. Would love to add dormers and remodel the attic as livable space. And convert the upstairs kitchen into a laundry room

Anyway...that's just a little about me.

thanks,

Dave

Welcome! It's nice hearing from people that do their own work.

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum. Old homes are great and sounds like you found a good one. Feel right at home here a great bunch of members.
:welcome::welcome::welcome:

Havasu...can't seem to upload any pics.
even resized them and it keeps failing.
I'll figure it out and post em up later.

Sorry, we are currently having an image upload problem. I've notified the big brass and hopefully it will be fixed soon.

let's see if this works now...Still working on the stairs, the small orange cabinet I built for a media cab/kids toy storage, window seat opens for storage, but waiting on my mom to sew a cushion for it. put in a pic of the old porch just for a comparison. Wainscoting panels were a real bitch, more because of the math than the carpentry, but the wife loves it and that's all that matters right.

oldporch.jpg

newporch.jpg

Floor.jpg

Stairs.jpg

wainscoting.jpg

CornerCab.jpg

WindowSeat.jpg

You have been doing a fine job. It's to late now but there is an answer for the slope of the front stairs.
All stairs in a flight including floor and landing are equall or within 1/4 inch of each other.
We run into this when landing stair on the side of a deck when the deck has a slope. If the slope is a half inch from one side to the other we lower one side of the top two steps, 1/2 and 1/4 and everything is in code.
When you did yours yoiu did the math off the left side and that looks right bat as the concrete was out of level by that much you also do the math on the right side and hopefully you can get them within that 1/4" then with the center stringer you simply dicide the difference in half.

It's that noticeable huh? the old stairs I'm assuming were hand cut stringers or something. they seemed to be in code and measured out right, but a new 5 stair stringer was way too short, a 6 step stringer was just a tad too long. brothers-in-law and I sat around for 2 beers trying to figure out what exactly to do. tried this, dry fit that....nothing seemed to work. We eventually got 7 stair stringers and cut off a half a stairs worth. Tucked it under the the fascia and strapped it in. under the porch is all laid brick, so I put in a 2x6 support (just for a little extra strength) on either side. The stringers ended up sitting on almost all of that first concrete step, was only about 6" exposed. So I called my concrete guy that lives 6 blocks from me so he came by fast. Said he would lay some concrete for me (at no charge....very nice) but it would be about 2-3 days. he would have some extra cement from a job he was doing and just had to finish it. This was about the moment my wife comes out and says why are the steps crooked? it was about 8pm so I figured I could fix it tomorrow after I get home from work. I get home to see my guy removing the framing for the concrete he just finished laying. the stringers are now cemented in place. I was thinking about removing each step and riser and shimming them in place, but I'm not so sure if that's a good idea. I just tell people that ask it's for rain run off to the side....most people don't know anybetter

I wrote that because I think others will see it and wonder what could be done.
The first mistake was buying pre-cut stringers so when ity really bothers you come back and ask for help and but you do have to cut stringers because no one has a flight that fits the pr-cuts.

Latest posts

Back