Recommendations for back up generator for 3700sqft house

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osgoodj

Reaction score
In the middle of a power outage and so it occurs to me perhaps plans should be made to address this. Thoughts in terms of sizing, brands and reliability experience?

I just have a 4400 watt gas generator that runs through my electrical panel. Operates a few circuits in my house for sump pump,fridge and freezer. It was cheapest way at the time but its a pain as you have to pull start the generator and flick a lever in panel box. Looking to get a Generac on natural gas that works automatically but they are pricey.

First step is to determine what you want to keep powered during a B.O. You don't need to run the whole house. Usually the fridge, furnace, a few lights and the well (if you have one) is sufficient. Then you total up the usage of those pieces (keep in mind that something like a well could need 220 volts). Then shop for a unit that has the proper size for your needs. I'll let others discuss the brands.

Back