Replacing 12v halogens in cabinet?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zepper

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've just replaced the five 12v 20w halogen bulbs (G4 base) in our den cabinet's built-in fixtures with 2w LED equivalents. Looks like I'll need to replace the transformer, too, as the LEDs flicker (not drawing the transformer's minimum power, I'm guessing).

My question is, what kind of transformer do I need? How do you figure the amperage it must provide? Thanks!

[still learning to use this editor, I guess]

Last edited:
If this isn't the kind of thing you guys specialize in (the lighting question, that is, not using the forum editor), can anyone recommend a good place for me to ask about it?

I can try a standard 12v "wall wart" DC adapter, but I thought I'd look for a bit of more clued-in advice before I blow out my light set, start a fire, etc.—the usual marriage-enhancing kind of stuff.

If this isn't the kind of thing you guys specialize in (the lighting question, that is, not using the forum editor), can anyone recommend a good place for me to ask about it?

I can try a standard 12v "wall wart" DC adapter, but I thought I'd look for a bit of more clued-in advice before I blow out my light set, start a fire, etc.—the usual marriage-enhancing kind of stuff.

Your in the right place, we are just waiting for the right guy.:)

You should check your existing transformer. It will be rated 100 watts or more but I wonder if there is a minimum operating range for it given that you lowered load by 90%, or is it dimming? That may be why you're having issues. Any transformer is going to be rated at your watts and voltage. So for your LEDs it's watts per bulb times number of bulbs at 12v which gives you the minimum size transformer.

Last edited:
Yes, I've read elsewhere that transformers like these often have minimums as well as maximums—and given these LEDs draw around 10% as much, that could be a problem. I've also now noticed that the transformer specifically says "for halogen lights".

I've now learned that power supplies for LED "puck light" sets are available separately, so one of those will do the trick. Thanks for your input!

Back