How could I add three lights on the back wall of my house?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the installation guide for your fixture;http://pdf.lowes.com/installationguides/080629702820_install.pdf

It indicates the max. wattage for the fixture is 60W, so one should ask, what is the purpose of the 7 light fixtures?

You can, with a little metal work, devise a base plate for the fixture to be mounted on a surface mount weather resistant box.

Or, and hdw. store will have a variety to choose from.

Here is the installation guide for your fixture;http://pdf.lowes.com/installationguides/080629702820_install.pdf

It indicates the max. wattage for the fixture is 60W, so one should ask, what is the purpose of the 7 light fixtures?

You can, with a little metal work, devise a base plate for the fixture to be mounted on a surface mount weather resistant box.

Or, and hdw. store will have a variety to choose from.

Thanks.

The 7 fixtures are: 2 on the left side, 3 on the back, 2 on the right.

I will be adding 5 new lights and replacing 2.

If I install a new fixture and outlet box where there was no light, where do I get the wire from? Where does it hook up to the existing house circuitry and how much work is involved in creating these new circuits? Especially on the back wall of the house where there is currently no circuitry.

You add an extension box to where the old light is and with conduit you add water proof light boxes and switch boxes.
Then you run a 3 wires and ground so you can have 2 switches. You take the power from that old light. Depending on how it is wired you may loose the inside switch.

$11.jpg

$13.jpg

$14.jpg

Thanks.

The 7 fixtures are: 2 on the left side, 3 on the back, 2 on the right.

I will be adding 5 new lights and replacing 2.

If I install a new fixture and outlet box where there was no light, where do I get the wire from? Where does it hook up to the existing house circuitry and how much work is involved in creating these new circuits? Especially on the back wall of the house where there is currently no circuitry.

And no matter which fixture you use, you'll need to extend the existing box to accommodate the EMT or elec. PVC, which is than surface mounted around the building.

However, you'll also need to tackle the switching; Inside you'll need to add a conductor to the existing wiring, which unless the present wiring is in flex, means opening the inside wall, at both locations.

Switching outside is just a matter of a box, 3way switch and conductors, if the hot pair is at the existing fixture box.

The discovery here, also addresses your other thread; If there are just black, white and ground conductors, in one or the other location, there will be pairs, or 6 conductors, and that is where the hot pair exists.

msg.#24, para.#2.

Usually, on one side of a switch box, above and below it, will be a hollow area, which can be verified by simply tapping on the wall.Using a hand drywall saw, cut a 3" square just above the switch box and another just below the approx. location of the exterior light box.

How do I open the inside wall?

Are there diagrams to explain what you typed?

John; I have posted some pictures of boxes.
The light box with a big hole in the back screws on the front of your old light box.
The other light boxes go where you want lights. Place the two switch boxes below two of the light boxes.
Connect them all together with conduit and run wires in them,
With two switches you will have to run an extra wire from switch to switch ( red wire)
Power is taken from the old light to the first switch.

Back