Risks buying used hardware

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeeter

Reaction score
there is a local guy selling his hardware floors out of a house he tore down. the wood looks in excellent shape and the price is good. is there anything i should look for or anything problems i might have?

check to see if there's enough for what you want to do with it, then see if the condition is ok - which kind of nails they used and if the holes are bearable. also check to see if the boards have warped from a water leak and/or poor storage not keeping them flat. of course, it's probably not an issue, but i'd check too if they're all the same thickness - or at least enough of them to fill a room. different rooms could've use different thickness and you may not have enough of one thickness to complete your job.

there are a million little things but like you said, if they look good, they're probably worth taking. i love old wood and you can't find it in the home depots, so it's good for restoring other older homes.

Latest posts

Back