Parts for 2-Way Shower

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00naomi00

Reaction score
We are doing a complete remodel on the bathroom. It has been demolished and is ready to be rebuilt. My plan is to run a rain shower head from the ceiling and have a regular shower head mounted on the wall. I want to be able to use them simultaneously, as well as, one at a time. My issue right now is that I don't completely understand what parts I need to accomplish this. I know I can purchase a shower set and the rain head separately, but do I need a specific shower set? What will I need to make this set up happen? I hope what I'm asking is clear.

Here is what I'm planning to get:

http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Forte-s...ing-pressure-balancing-valves-trim/422071.htm

http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Contemp...y,-2.5-gpm/productDetail/rainheads/427969.htm

I'm just trying to figure out what I need to make them both work...being able to adjust the temperature on them separately and running them at the same time or one at a time.

I have SO MUCH respect for contractors as I navigate through this remodel. It's a ton of information to learn.

You just have to find the two control valves that you can get matching knobs to you mixing valve.
They are set up on a loop so they both get the same pressure.

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
if it were me...I would buy 2 of the shower valves,

the valve is cheaper than a 2 way divertor valve

if it were me...I would buy 2 of the shower valves,

the valve is cheaper than a 2 way divertor valve

If the OP is having this inspected, will both valves operating simultaneously cause a GPM problem at inspection?

If the OP is having this inspected, will both valves operating simultaneously cause a GPM problem at inspection?

nope, code says ''per head'' not per shower

nope, code says ''per head'' not per shower

I understand and have had that argument before and was forced to change it, because "both valves are fed from the same two supply limes and therefore considered a single shower head".

Just a heads up for the OP, should it come up.

I understand and have had that argument before and was forced to change it, because "both valves are fed from the same two supply limes and therefore considered a single shower head". the whole house is fed from the same line, your inspectors comment makes no logical since

Just a heads up for the OP, should it come up.

wrong. I am a plumber, we install duel valves all the time
under the uniform plumbing code. and international

there is NO code issue in the international code or the uniform code that will stop you from using multible valves.
as long as your drain is sized correctly and the water lines are sized correctly

the code reads "PER HEAD" it does not read ''per shower stall''

LET ME ADD.....there are municipality codes that are different town to town
this may be what soonyb ran into,

Last edited:
wrong. I am a plumber, we install duel valves all the time
under the uniform plumbing code. and international

there is NO code issue in the international code or the uniform code that will stop you from using multible valves.
as long as your drain is sized correctly and the water lines are sized correctly

the code reads "PER HEAD" it does not read ''per shower stall''

LET ME ADD.....there are municipality codes that are different town to town
this may be what soonyb ran into,

In CA 15yrs ago during a water shortage!

As I said, "I understand".

That’s exactly how mine is plumbed 2 valves 2 heads. I ran them home run each to their own feed from my main manifold. That way if I have a leak or something I can shut the one off plus it gives each head its own flow. On the end with the rain shower we have a fold down handicap seat. It kind of futureproofs the shower we also have grab bars and such and a minimum curb to get over. The seat stays folded up most of the time but is nice to use when you want.

I like the rain end she likes the shower head and we can both use it at the same time and each have a different water temp.

In CA 15yrs ago during a water shortage!

As I said, "I understand".

LOL....OK THEN, You did not say you were talking about Commiefornia

They weird as hell out there

It is not like that in the rest of the free world.

Yep the Salton Sea is a wasteland and 30% of the Sierra Nevada run off goes directly into the ocean, because of the whaco's defense of the delta smelt.

Had a graduate of LA Trade and Tech, which is the referenced school for trade specific and combination inspectors, who had no trade experience, pass PVC waste line under and addition, (we use only ABS here), the city of Pico Rivera paid when it began coming apart.

Ok, so here is the configuration I'm wanting.......see photo. We will also have a rain head coming down from the ceiling. I still don't have any idea what to buy. I'm lost. I would rather have multi-valves instead of a valve and the little volume control. I don't want one head going cold while the other remains hot. So do I just need to buy 3 valve trims? Will I need transfer valves?

shower20fixtures.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears that the configuration picture uses an either/or selector, which gives full pressure to both, upon selection.

If the shower wand had and on/of in its handle, instead of the diverter, with both of them on, the pressure would be diminished.

So, to have full pressure at all three, you'll need three valves.

Back