Bathroom in basement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brasilmom

Reaction score
Greetings,
We are gutting our bathroom in the basement due to a flood that occurred. The bathroom was old, moldy, and in great need of an update. Now we are trying to gather ideas as to what is the best options for the new bathroom. I am considering one of those corner showers. I like tiles, but I prefer to have nothing that requires grout and what we found behind the old tiles was less than appealing. So, I saw one corner unit at Home Depot. Fiber glass perhaps? Not sure. Any way, I would like some ideas, pros cons, advices, anything you can offer.
Thanks. Be well
Miriam

Are you going to change the layout of the bath? Do you need more storage? If you move the shower, how much will be required to tie into the drain and water supply. Can you do this yourself or will you need a pro's services? Does your area require a building permit for the work you are planning?

The biggest thing I've seen when you have a failure of a system on a home is mis-application of materials. You either have a homeowner trying to cheap-out on buying all the parts of a system, or not know what is required to properly install things or tradesmen who underbid a project that cut corners to finish a job. Before you purchase any thing for the bath, read all the literature from the MFG and use their installation specs. Most MFG's have websites that have all their info available on line.

The layout will remain the same. I will most likely do a little linen closet, but there is already room for it. I will contract a plumber to replace some piping and also move the water lines for the sink. The electrician will need to move the outlet and also work on the fan. As for the shower area, I strongly believe in having a professional do it as I certainly do not wish to have a failure at all. At this point I am trying to decide the material I will use before anything else. Once I have that in mind it will make easier to discuss with the contractor. I will also need to check on permit, as I am not sure if it is required.
I truly appreciate your points. Thanks again. Be well
Miriam

For small space bathroom, I suggest the three-quarter bath, which consist of a toilet, sink, and either tub or shower. This can accommodate all the bath needs of the family.

We just started our bathroom project. We probably didn't do a good job shopping around. We are paying $5000 for cutting up the basement floor and hauling away the concrete; installing drain pipes and sewage ejector system; running pipes and final install of shower, toilet, and two sinks; connecting vents.

Thanks a lot,
Tramond

Miriam (with the beautiful, Biblical name),

Something to consider regarding the corner shower is whether or not the interior size is adequate for your and hubby's use. Last house we had included a corner shower in the basement, and I only used it a few times to realize I couldn't live with repeatedly bashing my elbows against the sides while scrubbing and rinsing myself. The silly thing was just too tiny for an average-sized adult to use.

"Easy" solution was ripping out the old unit and replacing it with a larger, fiberglas (rectangular) shower, although it did require relocating the toilet. Made for a completely functional bathroom.

P.S. Did you ever get the patio roof situation squared away?

Thanks BridgeMan. We looked up the corner unit and have one picked out. They are not the biggest thing ever, but is about the size of the previous shower area, so we are ok with that. Now we need to wait to get the inspections done so we may proceed.

We had to put the patio on hold for no. I did find, however, a place out in Washington that sells the kit which includes everything. It is made of aluminum and meet our local code for snow load. Once we complete the basement then we can work on the patio. This will be in Spring, as I certainly will not be doing that sort of work in the cold weather! We will have a new patio to enjoy comes summer!

Thanks again. Be well

Miriam

Latest posts

Back