3-Way, 4-Way, Any Way?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SavvyCat

Reaction score
It's been a long time, but I'm back with a new house and so a whole new set of fixes, changes, etc. Today's question is about dimmers.

I love living in a cave--I don't deny it. The plantation shutters in this house are what sold me on it. Still, the very first thing I did was add dimmers to the master bedroom, vanity, and bath.

I will be doing the other bedrooms, soon, but I'm stumped about the living room: there are 4 switches for the one light. My first thought was that I just need to get the preset 3-way dimmers with an on/off switch and follow the wiring pattern in place, but now I'm wondering if there is a special 4-way switch and how do I identify it? Setting that aside, my second thought was that 3 of the switches can be just regular 3-way(?) on/off, but the one I use the most would be the dimmer with on/off. The light level when using the other switches would simply be as a I left it. but I'm not really sure about that, either.

Does anyone have experience with both dimmers and lights controlled from more than 3 places?

SC

The diagram helps. Thanks! So in the end I would have what my last thought was--one dimmer in the most used spot (which we hope is a 3-way switch). I think I got it. :)

Yes, I would put the dimmer in the most used spot as long as it is a 3 way. Some of the newer electronic dimmers can be controlled from multiple locations.

Back