Help me fix my fence gates!!!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metric

Reaction score
Hello All,

My backyard has two rather disfunctional wood fence gates which I need to fix. I'm hoping you all can give me some diy pointers. Please feel free to move this thread if it's in the wrong forum!

The gate on the west side of my house has two rusted carriage bolts I can't seem to remove. I'd like to get them out, so that I can remove the old broken gate latch rod. These buggers don't budge!!! What is your recommendation? angle grinder+cutting wheel? Here it is:

The gate on the east side of my residence is a real pickle. The gate won't shut because the the gate and the gate post are leaning! To boot, the gate post is cemented in. Oh geeze, it will be difficult for me to dig up the post becuse of it's proximity to the house. I've seriously considered just removing the gate hinges and nailing back up the gate as a section of fencing, so that I no longer have a gate here. I've also conisdered dismounting the gate, and taking a circular saw to the upper left hand side(latch side). What are your thoughts???

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Matt

Put the nut back on to just cover the end, and hit them out with a hammer.
Change them to stainless steel...no more problem.

Well can hitting it by hammer on the other side doesn't work? Maybe because it was screwed.

You can fix the leaning post easily; just put an anchor support into the brick and use some strong metal wire. Just have someone (with the gate open) attempt to get the gate level then tighten the wire between the support anchor in the brick to the support anchor in the post. This isn't a "pretty" method and won't last forever, however it's a quick simple fix.

To remove the bolts do as inspectorD suggests, the bolts will come out.

The gate is poorly designed with no real support and the best thing to do is to attach it to the house as suggested. Steel hardware is available for such a purpose.

By the way...the gate is built backwards also from what I can see. The angled supports should start at the hinge and go up towards the latch side of the gate. Opposite of what you have there.:)

Back