Fixing a Vanity

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDomp12

Reaction score
I just moved into my new (old) house and like all houses there always something to fix. I saw in the bathroom downstairs they put the pipes going from the toilet on the outside of the wall, and apparently its to code but not my code and looking to fix that and the same with the drainage pipe except thats in the wall but the wrong wall. See pictures to see what I'm talking about.

Now my question, Is there a way to fix the holes in the vanity that they made for the pipes? (toilet and drain)

Looking into putting them in the proper place in the back where the pre-cut hole is.

Thanks.

IMG_0605.jpg

IMG_0607.jpg

IMG_0608.jpg

IMG_0609.jpg

I actually did repair a vanity (on a budget) with similar issues using melamine sheets. (As I say below, you could use door skin and paint it as an alternative) You can lay down a sheet of 1/4" white faced melamine to cover the entire bottom shelf and the supply line hole.

The inside of the drain hole can be covered on the inside similarly. Just cut a piece to cover the entire side and glue, brad nail and celebrate.

If you want to fix the OUTSIDE of the drain hole, the same material can be applied ... even though you have a decorative treatment. If you want to make it less obvious, get thinner door skin (about 1/8") and glue, brad nail to the outside, caulk, and paint it to match.

Last edited:
I would simply get some thin material, as cited in the post prior to mine, cut, sand edges, paint, and then fasten in place with caulk or silicone. You can cover the entire back, but it will look fine if you simply cut and finish a piece big enough to cover the hole. To finish around pipes, cut clean holes in your piece and then cleanly cut the piece in two halves and then glue on the finished pieces around your pipes. I had to do this with our new kitchen vanity to accommodate plumbing.

Sounds like you want to put the supply hose in the wall. You may need to remove some drywall, put in your hose, and replace drywall - see http://www.drywallinfo.com for help on this. If you are lucky, perhaps you could fish a stiff wire through from hole to hole and then pull your supply line through and this would save a lot of work.

Last edited:
There also looks like someone used Quest tubing. (the gray tubing)
It needs to go, it and the fittings can be replaced with Pex.

Back