How strong do you think this is?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jungle

Reaction score
Seems to be 3/4" oak(?) plywood, mitred and i guess glued and pinned together. Strange thing the previous owner, who installed this, went to college for carpentry and his father built the house, but i think he was a bit retarded. I even found some old drafting charts with his name on it in the basement. And no there is nothing inside the pillar.
I guess i would use the jack post then replace it, i need to match the finish with the other post i put in. Or would you just leave it?

pillar.jpg

I would bet that there are 2 studs in there, but if you are right perhaps the framing is such that it isn't required and was put up for show?

Ya i guess that is not that much pressure on there, basically holding 2 joists on either side. Actually the inspector i hired in the beginning told me to it should be jack bellow and a post in the stair case box. I guess he was wrong. I later found out he was friends with the re agent! Man i've had a few mistakes in the house.
Above the post in nothing the false wall a few inches to the left. Also given that the upstairs will no longer be used for walking around there should be little worries. I am still going to double up those ceiling joist that are over spanned, it will look better anyways.

load point.jpg

Last edited:
Since i got your attention you can look at the new upstairs scheme. That first wall is definitely structural. I don't think i should really take out the middle posts on the two sides, since the rule of thumb is never disturb a structural wall. I was think putting some glass in there, but then realize it could break and shatter over some one, not good. Just finish it nicely and put a wind chime in there will be cool.
The second wall is definitely false with not much in there. Still i wonder if it will look strange without it? I don't know who the hell i going to get up to the top of the ceiling on the left side to finish it? I'd need a 10' or 12' step ladder, or try and finish it from the right side.
The guy stan put new dry wall over old rotten dry wall and brown fiber board that is all bit a moldy, what a maroon@! I am just hopeing there is none up on the high ceiling, shouldn't matter as it is exposed to the out side air vents.

house structure.jpg

Last edited:
"I would bet that there are 2 studs in there,"

damn your good neil! I just got the flash light in there, where my fingers couldn't reach and low and behold two old studs. The box underneath is hollow though, easy enough to add some support there and some blocks bellow.

I hope you right about the two posts able to support the roof. I remember an old friend of mine dad is structural engineer in Toronto i will probably take my laptop down and run over thing with him for the hell of it.

I doubt the roof need support, the big deal is the floor.
Your photo shows what looks like a 2x4 on flat above the studs, a support post would not be installed like that so it would indicate a wall was removed exept for that post, I hope he knew what he was doing.

Here's the latest photo, you still think 2 posts is enough? You choices are 2,4 or 6 ?

I was thinking if i take out that post then i could take out the other pieces too? see X's , considering the overspanned joisted will all be replaced with two 2x6"x13' new lumber, and no walking up there other than platform.

attic.jpg

joist x.jpg

His post is down the landing, it would have been better at the bottom of the stairs. The board you have with 2 xs should have been double and your right the other one should be doubled but 13 ft would overspan a double 2x8. Without a floor up there not a big deal. But you want to make sure the ceiling joists system is enough to hold the building side to side. The whole load on the roof is trying to push the side walls out and with the hole cut out for the stairs the posts going up to the roof may be carrying some load.

Back