DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > General Chit-Chat > What did you do today?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM  
Flyover
Trying not to screw things up worse
Liked 75 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by frodo View Post
Shouldn't that say "Vewwy vewwy"...

zannej Likes This 
Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM  
zannej

Liked 483 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 2761

Had to "fix" my water pump this morning. Last night the water stopped working. Breaker was on but the pump wasn't running. I went out and tested the pump that pulls water in to the cistern (by pushing down on the float) and it was working. Pressed the reset button on the pump but it didn't work, so then I just gently tugged on the wires going to the pump and it kicked on. Must have shorted out. I'm guessing some wires are fried and will need to be replaced. I really need to get a whole house surge protector, but don't know what kind to get for certain.

Also, I finally got off my a** and cleaned the litterboxes. After I cleaned and refilled the first one with fresh litter, one of the cats decided she just absolutely *had* to go-- but she went in one of the dirty ones-- the last one on the end. I had to be careful when cleaning that one, but got all four cleaned out and filled with fresh stuff. Later on I'm going to clean up the one my brother is supposed to be responsible for because he's not going to do it. But I'll wait until he's home so he can keep kittens out from underfoot. Some of them have become proficient little climbers already.

Now I'm just waiting for my mother to wake up so I can make her dinner. I'm thinking she might like some soup.

Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2857 Times on 2507 Posts
Likes Given: 4733

It sounds like a wire is just loose and could be tighten up.
zannej Likes This 
Old Today, 02:42 AM  
zannej

Liked 483 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealtw View Post
It sounds like a wire is just loose and could be tighten up.
Possibly, although the last time this happened it was because a power surge damaged the wires and the pump guy had to replace them. But, the pump was shutting off repeatedly and I had to keep going out and tugging the wires to get them at the right angle. Pump guy showed me that one of the wires in the cable had burned.
Even if it's not burned and is just loose, it would still be a good idea to get the surge protector.