Gas Control Valve

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The valve is a :
1/2" X 1/2" 24v Direct Spark Gas Valve (170,000 BTU)
SKU: 722-051Brand: Robertshaw

It ignites and flame goes for about 5 seconds then the lock out happens.

The part that actually sparks (like a taser) has the electrode built on it.

Looks like this.
22-100001-117-1.jpg

You will have a thermopile. he talks about them at 300 on this video.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRjX5m0zHUU[/ame]

yea i dont have one anywhere. just that flame sensor.

Well it reads the heat and tells the controller to keep supplying gas, does your controller have a place for two wires and did the old one have a place for two wires?

yea it has the wires hooked up. just measure resistance and it should be .7 or higher. ill do that today.

your thermo coupling may not be in the pilot flame enough

if you would post pictures, it sure would be a whole lot easier to help.

Here are the images.

iLMq0SChP8ngiWZwoyzx7mERn7yLKl3YupIW0pa6XdCDKeyJ_uXHCod_ZW-__1XxgnZnm1F1HYSNN0i-tkF_-Rp9oD1J_WkXc3NsgA5qOvCVL7cPkG8ELMW2kgHrUylSp6I7vcLTuFUZbZNBbP4MiEoakDigtKouongzG8ctHG-b0ZQI6B2m61i9F1XNqk6ylOAB11NAwLdabJEc93duTVABpt8M9bB2EukzLh2UAtbLzsy_5KIBlO2Gw7pT59hcqHdMI-DfaA4V8o9XZhTXZ9ai_rXzOVqyuCAFpHa1P1UA67JSpmxXAVTLZy1h2IsI2IQQclE1DJtZnHkbRjrLtry3XTt0lvFgMJ2BcZHZjlv8842nSwomf_qHFoYU6vy1kZPFQ7-vGXsqzZxm4OytRhDFlJPXoDLxte0CDXaUU61criW8va-Zx0uWGX9socbqbcg0n11Webepe5PvBf8nM02hyHsaX0h8ggwcpU3cMUuK0_GwPZBw28ew2E_kTEDL3cJbHj97t3r9ZsZUdPtU_fKLUiSCWHG6Dlny1oclzhN_QJK-QCYWZ67HbDuzuHMF02meHuo4qPMvF94PTbNyhuKEoKeZuPDeJtk2M6g_SHd6VVc=w814-h1446-no

c7EwC2xKVSz48_cisHKknf4YYXKO8UeqbRw0orA4AL0VjVlCQEiDPu01AH0F-J1yPaRypCmFKvQThF5yCRRnao3p4bktyvHJZYKqcfDWIpfk6VzyJW4x4Xnz15CUaO-Mv919WWiQYnwOV7sJjrI0wqeHVp6M6XkAKl9_sV0yiYOCFlJVXSuUXAsCd-5Vaw3d90EtQybPSlEL_rsJE5S2PxSgMDRBh8heHQhSE_UnN_86wSMJYGcBscFMEQsSjfEaACjc17i8PFcyFSMQ3jn1VeoroFtBEs4vjrDURUrtFlKu7-Vky75tuKL9zRN5DpW9ls_keKzWSFst5OEVkjyKanUq_M-ahlfZR0fE1x7PmulhwSdkPLivz1SIk8Vzva0tRIYtvTPdat4GzNswo_BDHz20y-z5HEI4lTAIYFixpoQdOAYMmzZlk0LI0Lz8IgwH5O2VMXgli3pjQGHEFcJV6HEfjedRyejDs2SnsVxyPP2DKTdEYXSipnQy3uT4DfiAqMRUZ-LppJzSiqxZjiECrfXUK2hOdWAEvtDS_mQilMEJjsbUgq-7z_ZS0c4lmhE6BGfk6aqp0uyfDWxTIF2BRzYq41zvh1nLQZfNHsIvWrQHwZQ=w814-h1446-no

7oNgYqzSxVw_G26U7zajLh9kd3ehQ4hkvaXWiwk68tKPO_kye8vAIUhwd3joa270p6pTvySWR_lCDUldtwehaIZx5xc0pUIDQbXaB-rXQzM8iaSxouOz9nsl612gm5eQ_4Uem21ffuYCvaWFq_1_QC8Z9zRgx1Wm8O4f_2onJVhBtQmmVFs6uzngQZYWD4QElwHbGoB0rboqcMLFSf7MxFFN_PdMBSv7f8qvKCX6kaXrcUAlxYEHHYDG_M3gQ_-BM5ANAMB4SxT1YON6BDHh9upFwC25q1Y-UJtZgEhT6rMP_t7j_Uxsdia5OypgsPy87SZtBts-_7VHExf4cpg4ESqPbYMv-iwcGBlDtl5fIvvI5nsQBgImhPlJRB-M_1hZFRc_RrV8F6IpfRe0f8Tp5e-OQQcfZd0sTrlrFtKz9OHBCnAEn31lcDMRbiLVdofR3e5AEiOdhy5iOGQkaCINMBDIISbgmieh5wJOry4wvRm5wPFNvsqkvQxk7uws6NbAFjjLX9S1h2nZsEoFD45eyvmLseN0C3mv2hZlm0CVLMZXNxEz4fn-U7n2O2Ph4kMTbVgrTqsL7_Siiw1g4UtUHSCw1M9V3eEhSC8G3ivSLgzwHKaJAbA=w2572-h1446-no

Last edited:
i do not see anything,,,no picture ame thru blank page

He has a bracket over the plate with holes for the gas. It has the starter like the one in post 21 with the wire attached and that is all, no thermocouple or Thermopile.

There is one screw missing on the bracket so I think He is missing another part to the bracket too.

if you do not have a thermo coupling ,your valve will not work

your pictures did not upload, i am tired of guessing, pleas up load pictures.

or i can not help you

Something funky about these pictures, These I can see but others I can not. I thought I might re load them but I can not down load them.

if you do not have a thermo coupling ,your valve will not work

your pictures did not upload, i am tired of guessing, pleas up load pictures.

or i can not help you

The pictures are up. Not sure why you can't see them.

It does not have a thermo coupling. It has a flame sensor. There is a Fenwal Ignition Control Module. When the switch is flipped to turn on the fireplace, the ignition module then gives power to the flame sensor/igniter as well as the gas control valve. The gas control valve then opens and sends gas up to the fire place where the igniter sparks and starts the fire.

The flame sensor should send a signal back to the ignition control module saying "yes there is flame, keep the gas going" but instead the flame shuts off after about 10 seconds.

My guess is that the flame sensor electrode is faulty and is not sending a signal back to the ignition module. The module is going into lockout mode as a safety as it is not detecting that there is a flame so it shuts the gas valve off.

The screw is missing cause i was in the process of taking the flame sensor out.

Weird, I am uploading the pictures with google photos. Try them now.

The pictures are up. Not sure why you can't see them.

It does not have a thermo coupling. It has a flame sensor. There is a Fenwal Ignition Control Module. When the switch is flipped to turn on the fireplace, the ignition module then gives power to the flame sensor/igniter as well as the gas control valve. The gas control valve then opens and sends gas up to the fire place where the igniter sparks and starts the fire.

The flame sensor should send a signal back to the ignition control module saying "yes there is flame, keep the gas going" but instead the flame shuts off after about 10 seconds.

My guess is that the flame sensor electrode is faulty and is not sending a signal back to the ignition module. The module is going into lockout mode as a safety as it is not detecting that there is a flame so it shuts the gas valve off.

The screw is missing cause i was in the process of taking the flame sensor out.

Hmm, if I scroll down from where I am posting this I get the photos.

You are calling it a flame sensor, I did not see that, it looked to me you had the same as in post above that you posted.

The flame sensor is the thermopile and it has 2 wires going to the control; valve. All I see is the sparker and ground rod.

Hmm, if I scroll down from where I am posting this I get the photos.

You are calling it a flame sensor, I did not see that, it looked to me you had the same as in post above that you posted.

The flame sensor is the thermopile and it has 2 wires going to the control; valve. All I see is the sparker and ground rod.

Yea, this sensor only has the one 12v wire going to it. No other wire that goes back to the ignition module.

Latest posts

Back