Nosing for odd sunken LR

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germey

Reaction score
Hi all, it's been a long time since I've been on here.
I am installing Engineered wood floors in my house and have a tough LR transition.
As you can see in the image, I feel I need to start the first row at the back of the dining room, as that row will run all the way across the house, and will need to continue from both sides in 3 different spots. I have no high hopes of parallel between the first row and the drop down to the LR, nor do i expect the spacing to work out so as to leave a tongue or groove at the lip. I considered starting at the LR step, and then ripping the row that I intend to start with, but only where there is wall (leave groove where I need it), but there is still the odd angle portion of the LR step.
I think my only option is to fabricate a 1/2 round bullnose and glue/tack it to the cut end of the run.
I am comfortable with that, but wanted to make sure that there are no other bright ideas, or major pitfalls I haven't thought of.
Thanks!

1053-floor-problem

floor problem.jpg

I would get a peice of matching hardwood and bull nose that for the step and fit the floor to that. We have a furniture shop do the machining and staining and clearcoat it ourselves.

Yeah, I think we are saying the same thing. It seemed the logical choice, but,as an amateur, I always have that voice in the back of my head saying that my logic may not be worth much :)
I am still debating the different methods to attach the trim piece (biscuits, dowels, pin and glue)
Thanks!

I would try to work it out so you can start at the step, then you could cut a tongue on it to match the flooring and cut a groove in the ends of the angled peices of flooring.
You want the bullnose to stick out an inch, this stops the rizer from being kicked.

Back