Service Life for Craftsman 33gal compressor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vdotmatrix

Reaction score
I bought this compressor 12 years ago and for all I know it runs great and will last forever.

The truth may be far from that. It is an upright 33gal.

I see this same compressor everywhere.

Everytime....I mean everytime I fill up the compressor I leave the room until it is filled fearing a catastrophic faliure, but my caution is baseless.

Any ideas?

There are some standard maintenance procedures for these style compressors and when followed, catastrophic failure is unlikely.

Bleed the moisture from the tank after every period of use.
Stay in the area during the charging cycle and make sure that the unit is operating within the limits you have set by adjusting the pressure valves and that the pressure relief is operating correctly.

There should be an over pressure safety valve on the unit that will blow open if the pressure goes above a preset value. If you are overly concerned replace it for a new one.
It should look something like this and cost under $10.

225-516-large.jpg

Yes, I certainly drain the tank religiously after every session and pull the ring as I drain it past 60psi....She usually shut off at 140psi when filling . So I guess after all that I can just keep going....I installed a small galvanize branch with a ball-valve in which to easily drain the tank instead of crouching down and turning that thing-what a pain....so I replaced it. thx.....
There are some standard maintenance procedures for these style compressors and when followed, catastrophic failure is unlikely.

Bleed the moisture from the tank after every period of use.
Stay in the area during the charging cycle and make sure that the unit is operating within the limits you have set by adjusting the pressure valves and that the pressure relief is operating correctly.

Yes, I certainly drain the tank religiously after every session and pull the ring as I drain it past 60psi....She usually shut off at 140psi when filling . So I guess after all that I can just keep going....I installed a small galvanize branch with a ball-valve in which to easily drain the tank instead of crouching down and turning that thing-what a pain....so I replaced it. thx.....

Good deal.

At least you are thinking about it.

Periodically change your pressure functions to insure their operation is maintained.

Pressure functions????? Hmmmmi will have to research that in the manual I thought that was preset from the factory..I think that is a good idea..Off I go! THX
Good deal.

At least you are thinking about it.

Periodically change your pressure functions to insure their operation is maintained.

Pressure functions????? Hmmmmi will have to research that in the manual I thought that was preset from the factory..I think that is a good idea..Off I go! THX

There should be two adjustments that affect the pressure.

One is the tank pressure and while the pressure relief valve is preset for the tank certification, you can select a lower "general operating" pressure.

The other adjustment allows you to select any variety of operating pressures, "dictated", by the operating pressure of the tool in use.

As a for instance, the optimum inflation pressure of your vehicle tires may be 32psi. or your brad nailer may be 80psi.

I guess I can adjust the "tank" pressure by 5 or 10 measure accuracy....but I won't moneky around with it if it isn't indicated somewhere in their manual....
There should be two adjustments that affect the pressure.

One is the tank pressure and while the pressure relief valve is preset for the tank certification, you can select a lower "general operating" pressure.

The other adjustment allows you to select any variety of operating pressures, "dictated", by the operating pressure of the tool in use.

As a for instance, the optimum inflation pressure of your vehicle tires may be 32psi. or your brad nailer may be 80psi.

I guess I can adjust the "tank" pressure by 5 or 10 measure accuracy....but I won't moneky around with it if it isn't indicated somewhere in their manual....

Often times, maintaing the proper operation of equipment, is not, recommended in a manuel, but is common sense, dictated by knowledge of the conditions in which the equipment will be operated in.

If it's made by man, it will fail.

You have some influence, when.

At some point you may see blistering paint on the bottom of the tank.
Pin holes causing air leaks in the tank it's self.
Then it's time for a new one.
More then once I've seen people trying to weld patches or even JB weld on air tanks, that's just nuts.
I used to work for a a company that sold compressor and when they sent me to school they showed videos of what happens when tanks explode, not pretty.

I saw a picture this morning of a compressor that exploded...my compressor will be in the landfill way before I see any blistering of any kind and a new compressor in its place I assure myself....
At some point you may see blistering paint on the bottom of the tank.
Pin holes causing air leaks in the tank it's self.
Then it's time for a new one.
More then once I've seen people trying to weld patches or even JB weld on air tanks, that's just nuts.
I used to work for a a company that sold compressor and when they sent me to school they showed videos of what happens when tanks explode, not pretty.

Last edited:
This guy explains how to test the tank safely.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSFr4hJZPn0[/ame]

Back