What do you call this I'm stumped

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mdp

Reaction score
So we bought our house a few years ago. We live in St Louis and its a typical suburban ranch home built in 1955. The main room and kitchen and both larger bedrooms have a partial tray ceiling thing. I have seen this in other homes locally and can't for the life of me find out what its called. The tray only covers one wall and has a matching tray on the other side of the wall OK the adjacent room. I have been tossing the idea of extending the tray all the way around but it would end up as a weird asymmetric setup. Cool but idk

Here is some pictures of what I'm talking about

Screenshot_2016-01-27-20-40-35.jpg

Screenshot_2016-01-27-20-40-41.jpg

Screenshot_2016-01-27-20-40-46.jpg

Welcome to the site. I think what you are talking about is a drop. Drops hide things like HVAC or plumbing and are often expanded to make a tray or at least balanced in a room.
Is your furnace or Hvac in the attic or do you have plumbing up stairs.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eReUKwsSfTw[/ame]

Years ago it was common to build a box above the cupboards and I think we called that a valance.

HVAC in basement. No plumbing. The one in the kitchen is un finished on the inside and has lights. The backside they shade is only ~3.5 inch thick

Picture marked 4 of 6 might have a header or beam in that 3 1/2"

Picture marked 6 of 6 looks like a beam across the big that night tie into another on in the hall opening.

Is it attic space above and you have access to it?

You are asking because?

It’s a form of lighting sometimes called “up lighting” or “cornice lighting”. I would call yours a “boxed cornice with up lighting” I think. If it went all the way around I would call it a tray ceiling with up lighting, but to me a tray has sloped sides. A lot of this style was popular in the mid 50’s people wanted a more modern look. A lot of houses were also built with low roof lines and large overhangs. People wanted a Frank Lloyd Wright look.

You can google cornice lighting and see many examples and products If you did want to think about continuing it around. I like the look as is.

No real problem extending them around the room if you like them, What the do now is crown molding down about an inch from the ceiling and led lights tucked in above.

I think once you leave a space or ledge, lights or not the crown molding becomes a cornice.

I built something similar to that in my home theater room where I use a projector and screen. The space inside the cornice I ran all my cables and wires to the projector and the speakers and the last thing I laid in was rope LED lights that I can turn on from the same area where the AV equipment is. They are great places to easily run cables you need to access from time to time.

Here is some pictures of what I'm talking about

All three are architectural elements;

4 of 6 is a lighting soffit.
5 of 6 is a typical soffit which originated from the, "honey why do we need such tall upper cabinets, when I can't reach and don't use the top shelves," and in later years was a convenient place to stuff plumbing, elec. and ducting, and are now being increasing found to be an inconvenience.
6 of 6, if it is in line with the hall wall, may well be the remaining evidence of a wall having been removed, and a trip into the attic will shed some light.

Years ago it was common to build a box above the cupboards and I think we called that a valance.

THANK YOU!

I,ve been trying to remember that term for months... :help:

Filling Space Above Cabinetry.jpg

A "valance," is a decorative element associated with windows and architectural boxing that contain gathered draperies.

How about soffit? :confused:

A valance is more decorative because they are selective in virtually all aspects.

While a soffit is an architectural element and constructed as part of the structure, or in your case as a manner of blanking of an otherwise seldom used space, IE., a dreaded dust catcher.

Back