Parachuting Ants

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SFLman

Reaction score
According to our pest man here in South Florida, the tiny black ants are unstoppable. He said that every house which has moisture in the walls, has them. You can spray poison, but they will be back. He told me that boric acid bait may help because there is some hope of killing the queen. If anyone knows better, don't hold back, I will listen.

Here is our problem:
Ants are crawling around in our attic, and then tumbling out of the three light fixtures and parachuting down onto our kitchen counter.

http://www.houserepairtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10719&stc=1&d=1454216583

No doubt, we've munched a few for dinner!

The only hope is to physically block them. I've ordered three 7 inch fiberglass circles. The question now is, how to brace them against the fixtures?

http://www.houserepairtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10720&stc=1&d=1454216583

I will caulk around the edges, and, of course, I can't glue the plastic circles to the fixtures, because when the light bulbs go out, I'm going to need to change the bulbs.

The plastic ring is very brittle, so I don't want to try screwing the plastic circles onto them. BTW we have 60 W eco lights in the fixtures, and vents in the fixture cans, so I don't think the fixtures will over heat.

Does anyone know of some sort of rotating clip which I can install to push the plastic circles firmly up onto the light fixtures?

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate hearing.

thanks

PICT0040.jpg

PICT0044.jpg

The bad thing about ants is they are small and relentless. They'll find the smallest crack to crawl through. The good thing is they are pretty regimented and easy to follow. If you have them in your attic, you need to destroy the nest and seal where they're coming into your house. If you just seal around the fixture they will find another route into your kitchen.

Latest posts

Back