vinyl window repair -- cosmetic damage fixable?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkairalla

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently had family member leave a burning candle close to a window, resulting in a near fire and some cosmetic damage to the vinyl frame (believe me, we had a lengthy discussion regarding fire safety!)

window damage 1.JPG

window damage 2.JPG

The damage is purely cosmetic and I am wondering if it will be necessary to replace the entire window. Or could a section of the vinyl be replaced (see picture)? Or could using epoxy, sanding and painting over be a viable fix?

Any suggestions?

There is really no great way to fix it, but I've messed up enough stuff over the years to come up with some ways to make it look like it was meant to be that way.
Most vinyl windows have welded frames so there is no just removing the bottom part.
If it was mine I'd be using my oscillating saw and cutting off that damaged area, then using my random orbital sander to get a smooth edge and cleaning up that messed up stool.

I think I would build it out with a trim piece and just cover the damage. Maybe PVC lumber. Get your measurements and go to the home center and walk thru the trim area and something will jump out at you.

And welcome to the forum.

Or glue on a white "corner guard" but you may have to bevel the window edge so it seats properly, or use two shim strips under the guard.

Back