DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > Bifold door won't stay closed.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:10 AM  
swimmer_spe
Liked 72 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve123 View Post
You have a spring loaded slider on the upper track with missing springs?
Nope. It looks all there. I have other bifold doors in the house and they all have the same parts, but this one doesn't close properly.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:03 AM  
jeffmattero76
Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

I think we could help you better if you described the problem more clearly. Are you saying that the door will not STAY closed, or are you saying you cannot close it for some reason?

If you close it and it opens by itself, my guess is that it it not hanging plumb. That would be cured by lifting the door to disengage the bottom pivot pin from the bracket. If you look at that bracket (it is screwed to your floor under the door, near the jamb)it has 5 or 6 holes in it. Move the door and pivot pin to the next hole to try and get the door hanging plumb.

If the door will not close at all, please tell us why. Is the hinge side door rubbing against the jamb when you try to close it? If so, again, lift the door to disengage the bottom pivot pin and move the door and pin one hole farther away from the jamb.

If the door will not close because of paint buildup where the two halves meet, do as someone described above.

Good luck!

slownsteady Likes This 
Old 01-21-2018, 08:47 AM  
swimmer_spe
Liked 72 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmattero76 View Post
I think we could help you better if you described the problem more clearly. Are you saying that the door will not STAY closed, or are you saying you cannot close it for some reason?

If you close it and it opens by itself, my guess is that it it not hanging plumb. That would be cured by lifting the door to disengage the bottom pivot pin from the bracket. If you look at that bracket (it is screwed to your floor under the door, near the jamb)it has 5 or 6 holes in it. Move the door and pivot pin to the next hole to try and get the door hanging plumb.

If the door will not close at all, please tell us why. Is the hinge side door rubbing against the jamb when you try to close it? If so, again, lift the door to disengage the bottom pivot pin and move the door and pin one hole farther away from the jamb.

If the door will not close because of paint buildup where the two halves meet, do as someone described above.

Good luck!
I can hold the door fully closed, but if I let go, it pops out slightly.

Old 01-24-2018, 06:30 AM  
jeffmattero76
Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

To me, that suggests that the door is not hung plumb. Check for plumb on both the face of the door near the pivot side, as well as on the edge of the door at the pivot side. The solution may be as simple as lifting the pivot side of the door out of the floor bracket, and moving it to a different position on that floor bracket. That floor bracket has 4 or 5 different "holes" where the pivot pin can be inserted. Move your door to whichever hole makes your door plumb.